Diuerse

Mattias Hallin Mattias.Hallin at jurenh.lu.se
Tue Apr 12 15:06:17 CEST 1994

I've had a coupla busy days -- sorry for not answering before!

DON:

    About fees and Egmont and stuff -- if that's how you feel, t'ain't much I
can say or do, is there? though I still feel that if you spend time doing what
other people tell you to do (as in "stay in this booth", "sign comics for our
customers", "meet this guy, and say hello to these gentlemen from the press",
"don't give away drawings to YOUR fans" etc. etc. -- then that's work wether
you enjoy it or not! And if it's a job of work, you're not greedy either to ask
or accept a fee/salary, but rather the contrary: that's your right, no more no
less! To my mind (and excuse me for being a tad philosophical) there is a
difference between doing work, and just doing things which however has VERY
LITTLE or NOTHING to do with whether or not you enjoy what you do. Me, for
example, expect to enjoy IMMENSLY my trip to the U.S. this summer, and will
even have to pay anywhere from $1000 to $2000 out of my own pocket to do so
(and that hurts!), yet for me this is NOT an instance of sacrificing either
personal pride or money, but a matter of take it or leave it -- those that I
will WORK for in the U.S. (two jazz festivals) can't afford, or so they claim,
to bring me over all-expenses-paid-and-also-a-handsome-fee, which means I have
a choice between a rock and a hard place -- but of course I go, because I
expect to get my money's worth of enjoyment, but not because I feel I oughtn't
to actually come out ahead, since I'll be doing work for these people. Fun
work, sure, but work all the same!

Sorry if I'm rambling -- and I'm not trying to wheedle you in any direction at
all; I don't presume to know what's best for anyone else. We all have to do
what we feel we have to do.

CHANGE OF TOPIC:

                I'll try'n git aholt of Anders And 13-14, and translate those
textpieces for you! Might take a while -- but I'll do it eventually!

All my best, dont you know!

Mattias

Oh, and I should say I haven't gotten my copy of Gladstone's Lo$ #2 -- thus my
taciturnity on that subject. Nor have I yet seen the Swedish (if there is one?)
publication of Lo$ #11. Get back to you, I will, on those!

!* Mattias Hallin ** <Mattias.Hallin at Jurenh.lu.se> ** Phone: +46 46-14 84 43 **!
!* Trollebergsvagen 24 B ***** Work: Lund University, Box 117, S-221 00 Lund **!
!* S-222 29 Lund, SWEDEN **************************** Phone: +46 46-10 71 37 **!
!***** "Oh, the villain onward stole... While a wicked smile he smole!"  ******!