Italian Gottfredson reprints

Fabio Gadducci gadducci at DI.UniPi.IT
Wed Apr 13 17:19:31 CEST 1994

Dear folks,

David wrote:

>        Fabio said:  "Well, the newstands edition [of a completely
>uncut "In Search of Jungle Treasure," made from original proofs, which
>also was published in 1991 in Germany] came out in the late-Eighties,
>but the whole 1930-1945 run first appeared as a collector's edition
>some years before, around mid-Eighties."
>
>        Please, Fabio, tell me the name of this collector's edition,
>who published it, and most importantly, what the printing quality is
>like on the earliest (1930-33) strips.  I think this would be very
>useful to Gladstone, PARTICULARLY if the strips are in black and
>white.  If the strips are as clear and as perfect-looking as those for
>"In Search of Jungle Treasure," well, here's Gladstone's source for
>proofs.  (Never mind that they're in Italian, I know how to get around
>that...)  Is the quality of the strips all good?

Well, it was published by Mondadori and distributed to bookstores.
It was never sold at newstands.

Years 1930-1943 were published in four colours, with few pages (usually a
complete story) for each volume. Later, Mondadori published years 1944-1955
in big, b&w volumes, one for each year.
The quality of the strip is really good. I think they made the b&w proofs
from the original newspapers (the editor of that edition, Ernesto Traverso,
lives in Genova, where there is a big group of collectors, and a club, Anni
Trenta, mainly interested in classical comics)

Still David, on Bucky and Sunday pages

>        FABIO:  How is Comic Art reprinting these Sunday pages?  Are
>they reproduced from black-and-white proofs (with the color added
>fresh), or from yellowing old newspapers?  Are the strips left in
>English?  (Doesn't sound like it, since you mention Bucky being called
>Buci.)
>        Most important:  IF THESE STORIES ARE BEING REPRODUCED FROM
>PROOFS (as were the Sunday strips in _Mickey Mouse in Color_), DOES
>COMIC ART HAVE ACCESS TO ENGLISH VERSIONS?  That's presumably what
>they're working from...

Well, as for the Mondadori edition I told you before, I think Comi Art made
the b&w proofs from the original newspapers, and then added the color.
Obviously, those books are in Italian... :-). Since CA print less than 1000
copies for issues, they are not interested at all in the foreign market.

That's all for now.

See you next week...

Fabio

Fabio Gadducci            Dip. di Informatica
Home: +39-50-541725       Universita` di Pisa
Off.: +39-50-887268       Corso Italia 40, 56100 PISA (ITALY)
FAX:  +39-50-887226       E-mail:gadducci at di.unipi.it