Disney-comics digest #300.

James Williams James_Williams at ESS.NIAID.pc.niaid.nih.gov
Fri Apr 15 21:51:03 CEST 1994

>Paperinik (Superduck) is the secret identity of Paperino (Donald Duck)
>as a superhero.  He is an Italian creation.

Gilbert, thanks for the reply.  One of the most interesting things I've
found since joining this list is the existance of various Disney
characters who I've never even heard of.  Are there other characters
like Paperinik and Feathery Duck, who have large followings but have
never appeared in the US?

I wonder what Paperinik fans thought of Don Rosa's very anti-superhero
Super Snooper story.

>How closely does Paperinik resemble Darkwing Duck.  Do you think that
>he supplied inspiration?

Mark, I've never even seen Paperinik, but I can tell you that at least
visually he wasn't an influence on DWD.  DWD's costume is an almost
exact copy of the Shadows.  I've always been surprised that Code Nast
didn't claim copyright infringment.

>We all know that there are stories created in Europe about Disney characters
>that are never seen in the U.S.  Does Disney have any control over this?

Alex.  Unless the copyright on the material has expired, Disney has
complete control and rights over the material.  Almost every Disney
comic in the world is licensed from Disney and all the stories are
approved by Disney before being published.  As Don Rosa will probably
remind us, Disney also owns all of the artwork.

James Williams