Uncle Scrooge #286 / Lo$ #2

adair_t@kosmos.wcc.govt.nz adair_t at kosmos.wcc.govt.nz
Sat Apr 16 01:22:56 CEST 1994

	When I read this for the first time, I didn't notice any of the glaring
details that others had discussed here previously.
	I enjoyed the various running gags (the barmaid, the muddy Mississippi,
the pickpocket), the background detail (perhaps the third panel on page one
should be a half page?), and, of course, the fantastic action and scenery!
	Now, for a few nitpicks.  Should the Beagle Boys on the cover have
serial numbers?  According to the story, they received their numbers after the
river incident.
	In the second panel of page four, Hogg looks like he's been bronzed.
	Are there mistakes on the splash panel, or are the blank spaces a
result of recovered space?  (Shouldn't Alabama and Georgia be labled?)  Also,
Oklahoma wasn't opened to settlement until 1889.  I think it was called the
Indian Territory at that time.  When the series is collected, Don, you might
want to add the missing boundaries of Texas and Ohio.
        I also found a word duplicated in the text, but I can't find it now.

	The coloring was muted (it almost reminded me of the old Gladstone
issues), probably because of the Mississippi and the antiquated colors now seen
from the period.  The graduation of color in the Drennan Whyte was well done.
	Where did Ratchet come from?  (I don't mean his lineage, I mean his
bibliography.)
	Don, any response from the Louisville media?

	And for those who are interested, the Mississippi is muddy because of
the Missouri River ("Muddy Mo"), and the erosion of prairie soil.  More of this
in Part Three.

Torsten Adair	adair_t at kosmos.wcc.govt.nz	Wellington, New Zealand

P.S.  Congratulations on Digest #300!!!