Disney-comics digest #298.

Harry Fluks H.W.Fluks at research.ptt.nl
Mon Apr 18 12:10:32 CEST 1994

(I have been away for a week, so here are some replies to old mail...)

About Argus McSwine
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The Dutch name of this pig is Venijn MacSnekke. I think he was named so
even in the 60s and 70s, before Egmont made a lot of stories with him.
Maybe even in several Barks stories.

Bucky Bug
~~~~~~~~~
David asked:
> 	*** HAVE THE EARLY BUCKY SUNDAY STRIPS BEEN REPRINTED BY
> OBERON... AND IF SO, WHERE AND WHEN? ***

Not that I know of... A lot of sunday newspaper strips have been reprinted
in Holland, including Hiawatha, Panchito, Joe Carioca, etc. But I can't recall
a reprint of any Bucky Bug strip.

(For those who don't know: Oberon was the name of the Dutch publisher for
years.)

AR-index
~~~~~~~~
David made some corrections and additions to the ftp-file 'ar-index'. Don't
worry too much about updating this: when I'm finished with the Disney comics
Database, this file and some others will be constantly up-to-date, or at
least consistent with other files (because the 'source' information will
be stored on one place only).

Hiawatha translated
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Dwight asked:
> How are the Lil Hiawatha stories translated in your countries?

In Holland they used to use some "broken Dutch", a language that is used
for uncivilised peoples (I know the French equivalent is called
"Petit-ne`gre": Little Negro). It had sentences like "Mij ziek zijn" ("Me
be sick").

Holland had a big production of Hiawatha stories in the 60s and 70s,
because he was a popular character here and no USA stories were available.

>From 1983 on, Hiawatha talks normal Dutch, like everybody else. Nowadays,
he appears only once in a while in an Egmont story.

Golden Mickeys
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Fabio:
> there was another edition of FG's stories during the years
> 1970-1972 (almost all the 1930-1945 stuff), in an series of oblong comics
> (just two strips per page) called "Topolino d'Oro", even if this edition
> was b&w: does anybody know if this edition was reprinted anywhere? Just
> curious...

Not in Holland.

Rosa and Van Horn indexes
Fredrik replied to Mikko:
> Like Harry said; send the Van Horn stuff to me and I'll decide
> what to do with it. Either I'll include it in the Scandinavian
> column if it's similar enough, or I'll give it a column all by
> itself, or perhaps it will even get a whole new file.

Mikko sent me the Finnish updates for the Don Rosa index, and it sufficed
to add an 'F' to some of the entries. I just sent the new version of this
file (don-rosa.index) to Per (to put on ftp).

--Harry.