Databases, mysteries and newspapers (Re: Disney-comics digest #299.)

Harry Fluks H.W.Fluks at research.ptt.nl
Mon Apr 18 12:40:33 CEST 1994

Comics databases
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Torsten:
> Announcing the GRAND COMICS DATABASE

Fredrik:
> I'm actually slightly surprised there has been no reaction to this
> message. Has anyone written these guys and told them about all our
> indices?

I planned to react, but haven't (yet). I'm not sure these people would
be interested in Disney (or other funny animal) stuff. The superhero
world is quite distinct from 'our' world. But maybe they at least
ought to know that we HAVE an index.

> And we still don't HAVE a FAQ...

And we still don't HAVE time...
But I'm still working on the Disney comics Database (which takes more
time than I thought).

Myckey's Misteries 8-)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Fabio:
> I do not remeber of having read those stories you talk about, but actually
> there is a monthly called "I misteri di Topolino", i.e., "Mickey's
> Misteries"

Gilbert Roser (hi, Gilbert!):
> Here in Germany these comics Frederik mentioned are presented in a digest
> called "Ein Fall fur Micky" and until today four books were selled. The
> comics are Denish stories of the nineties (the index-numbers are beginning
> with D9....)

Maybe this is an example of the case that Egmont gives re-worked Italian
material its own numbers? (Like we saw before in the Rota story of "Andold
Wild Duck")

Disney newspaper strips
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
James Williams asked:
> What Disney strips have existed? When did they run? Which characters did
> they feature? And, Who worked on them?

I hope to answer a lot of these questions exactly when I have finished the
Disney comics database. From my mind, there are or have been at least the
following Disney newspaper strips:

- Mickey Mouse, daily, 1930-present. Gottfredson, Walsh, and even Jippes in
	the early 80s. Listed in ftp file 'mickey-mouse.dailies'.
- Donald Duck, daily, 1938-present. Taliaferro, currently reprinted by
	Gladstone.
- Scamp, daily. From 1952 till ?

- Mickey Mouse, sunday. Gottfredson, ... Listed in ftp file
	'mickey-mouse.sundays'
- Silly Symphonies, sunday. Featured a lot of different "sub-series", like
	Donald Duck (Taliaferro), Hiawatha (Grant), Panchito (Murry),
	Joe Carioca (Murry), Pluto, Bambi.
	A lot of various artists, including Gottfredson, Taliaferro, Murry
- Donald Duck, sunday.
- Brer Rabbit, sunday. Dick Moores. 50s.
- Scamp, sunday. 60s/70s.
- Disney's Treasury of Classic Tales, sunday. Listed in ftp-file 'classics'.
- Winnie the Pooh, sunday. 80s. Reprinted by Gladstone.

- Christmas tales, sunday. Only in Chistmas time (November/December). All
	kinds of characters, like Dumbo, Peter Pan, Cinderella etc.

(That's it.)
--Harry.