Various things

David A Gerstein David.A.Gerstein at williams.edu
Tue Apr 19 02:29:32 CEST 1994

	Dear Folks,

	LONG Digest today, with lots of things to talk about.
Regardez:

	Return to Tralla La
	===================
	Don:  "I haven't seen the German weekly #2000, but are you
saying that the "Return to Xanadu" story is NOT titled "Return to
Tralla La"? I just got a FAX from the translator himself who verified
that the title used IS "Return to Trala La"... That's not the title
you see?"
	Er... ahem... I never said that wasn't the name!  I just
pointed out that naming the story "Return to Tralla La" was in the
tradition of their title for "War of the Wendigo," which similarly
spoiled the surprise.

	Mickey Mysteries
	================
	Gilbert: "In Germany these comics Frederik mentioned are
presented in a digest called "Ein Fall fur Micky" and until today
four books were selled.  The comics are Danish stories of the
nineties (the index-numbers are beginning with D9...."
	Harry:  "Maybe this is an example of the case that Egmont
gives re-worked Italian material its own numbers?"
	Nope.  These are EGMONT stories, but drawn by ITALIAN artists.
Egmont has quite a program going with Disney Italy to draw the
now-sizable number of pocket-book stories they make.  There you go,
STRAIGHT from the horse's mouth.  (Horace, mind you.)
	And Gilbert... isn't the title of the comic "Micky Aktion"?
The cover of the first one has a SUBTITLE "Ein Fall fur Micky", but I
thought the title was "Micky Aktion"...

	Newspaper strips
	================
	Harry: "There are or have been at least the following Disney
newspaper strips" ... [SNIP]
	You missed a few, Harry.  The one-panel "Merry Menagerie" ran
for a while from the '50s-'70s.  This was simply a Disney-drawn series
with domestic and farm animals exchanging snide jokes.  Ecch.
	There was also a True-Life Adventures strip in the '50s for
awhile, drawn in a realistic style, showing the lives of real animals.

	RoC described Scrooge-as-newseditor Strobl stories
	This is not directed at YOU RoC... but... I don't know about
anyone else, but I would never buy ANYTHING like this.

	A story has appeared in Germany and Norway which is
	"a great 16 paged Mau Heymans special (H 90164) for (Dutch)
Donald Duck's 2000th(?) issue.  It has three full page panels..."
	Many of you wrote about this.  If 2000 can be replaced by any
other large number, this seems IDEAL for WDC&S 600 next year!  Can
someone please give a synopsis of the story?  I would like to make the
English version for John Clark.  I would like to talk to him about it
as SOON as possible.  Please, can someone help me?  I ALSO WOULD WANT
TO ACQUIRE THE GERMAN EDITION OF THIS.  Can someone help me THERE?
I'll pay for it... honest!

	Fredrik noted that
	==================
	"before Christmas they published a daily Beauty and the Beast
in a regional newspaper here in Blekinge, Sweden.  Perhaps this is
just some spin-off or daily publication of the Sunday Christmas
Tales?"
	It IS from the Christmas Tales strip (1992) but was presented
in daily form here, too.  And in '93 it was a... yawn... Aladdin
story.  How predictable.

	Gladstone's sales
	=================
	John Clark told me that "our comics are already selling MUCH
better than Disney's were... about twice as well."  Or something along
those lines.  Apparently Gladstone is doing well.
	So well that they wanted to begin expanding their line, and
WDCiC was to have been only the first example of this, but Disney
nipped that in the bud, for no reason that ANYONE can figure out.

	Egmont expands the MM universe
	==============================
	I got some updated Mickey material for writers from Egmont,
today.  Among them were illustrated sections about Eli Squinch and
Montmorency Rodent, both of whom are to be regulars from now on!
	Also a copy of a 24-page story by Byron Erickson himself which
is the best MM story ever done by Egmont, I think.  Only the script.
The villain is Peg-Leg Pete -- called that, and with the peg-leg.
Mickey wears his red shorts.  Yep, things are getting back to basics.
Just wait 'til all of this hits publication later this year...

	Yours,

	David Gerstein

	"I'll hold the pipe like this, and when I nod my head, YOU hit
it with th' hammer!"
	(nod)  *** CLONK! ***
	"Fur gawrsh sakes, Mickey!  I did just whut yuh TOLD me to!"
	<David.A.Gerstein at Williams.edu>