Some comments on Lo$ 11

Jon Cato Lorentzen jonlo at ifi.uio.no
Wed Apr 20 14:23:09 CEST 1994

Don wanted some reactions, and having just read the two first parts of the
three parted chapter 11, I have some comments. But first:

			MAJOR LO$ SPOILER WARNING !

Ok, Don.

First of all I must say that the references to Barks stories are very well
done. In the hands of a less capable writer/artist, this chapter could soon
become a dry collection of Barks Facts, but you manage to keep a small
story flowing inbetween all the references.

This chapter is very different from the others, mainly because the story
suffers much under the weight of the Barks references. Most of the other
chapters have had a great story with a lot of Barks facts thrown into the
storyline. This chapter has mainly been a load of Barks facts with a small
story connecting the various facts. Under the weight of all the references,
the storyline seems supressed. However, I haven't read part 3 of the chapter
yet, so my views may still change. There are some very impressive scenes
in the story, and as I mentioned above, you manage to avoid the story
being *JUST* facts, but keep them connected and flowing.

Scrooges rage and his imperialistic actions in the jungle are handled
very well. Scrooge is almost unrecognisable as he performs this evil deed,
with his blackened face and furious eyebrows. I can't see any reason why
Disney would want to ban this. What they'll probably see a problem with
is the gun pointing at Scrooge on page 3 (Gasp! THREE guns pointing at
Scrooge at the same time!). The Titanic drawing was awesome, and really
grabbed me by surprise, but all those people jumping into the ocean is
probably too much for the tender people at Disney. I mean, thats a mighty
long fall.

The coloring in the Norwegian version was overall good, except for one
major error. A small map is shown after Scrooge leaves Africa, showing
Scrooge traveling through Egypt and towards a train track. The colouring
here is all screwed up, with the oceans and some of Africa green, and
all of Europe blue. It took a long time before I managed to make any sense
of that map.

One question for Don: The medicine man (Hoku Poku is his name in Norwegian)
signs the contract with an X, but then he reads Scrooges name from the
contract. I thought X was signed by people unable to read or write. Or
has the medicine man learned to read, but not to write ?

Jon C. Lorentzen