Translating names and ftp news

Per Starback starback at Minsk.DoCS.UU.SE
Wed Apr 20 21:05:55 CEST 1994

Theodore> Is there an easy way to get a simple list of our dear friend Mickey
Theodore> Mouse's name in each country of the world?

Bror> No, there's not (not that I know of).  You can try looking trough this
Bror> lists ftp-site.
Bror> I'm doing some sort of translation-index and have these names:

You're not the only one!  Over a year ago Andreas Gammel (hi!)
suggested that we should try to get names of Disney characters in as
many different languages as possible and now Fredrik maintains such a
list, available at the ftp archive as characters/interlingual.  Maybe
that was before you joined the list?

The main input to the first version of that list came from my own such
collection, for which I had used several sources, among them some
files I got from you.  I advise you to get the interlingual file and
compare with your own stuff!

It's sort of fun to collect all those names I guess, but most of the
time it really doesn't matter much to me what Chief O'Hara is called
in Latin...  There is at least one practical use of that list near at
hand though, namely to aid members of this very list who have read
Disney comics mostly in other languages than English so they will be
able to understand and participate in the English language discussion
on those characters on this list.

I will (Real Soon Now) send out special lists translating between one
particular language and English to all list subscribers who have
addresses that seems to indicate a non-English-speaking origin.

By the way, there is a new version of that file as of today, as well
as of the Van Horn index van-horn.index.  Thanks to Fredrik, Mikko
who sent Fredrik info on Van Horn publications in Finnish, and Gilbert
who sent Fredrik some info for the interlingual list.
Per Starback, Uppsala, Sweden.  email: starback at minsk.docs.uu.se
 "Life is but a gamble!  Let flipism chart your ramble!"