Disney-comics digest #306.

David A Gerstein David.A.Gerstein at williams.edu
Thu Apr 21 01:56:58 CEST 1994

	Dear Folks,

	A few things to comment on today.

	Air Pirates Funnies
	===================
Ron Evry:  "Dan O'Neill knew what MM was all about twenty
years ago. THAT mouse had character!"
	This is a reference to a series of underground comics, only 2
of which were published, titled _Air Pirates Funnies._  These
contained pornographic adventures of Mickey Mouse, Bucky Bug, and
"Dirty Duck" (a parody of George Herriman's "Gooseberry Sprigg"
character in _Krazy Kat_).  I consider those comics a good parody of
society as symbolized by Disney, but I *DON'T* appreciate what they
did to Floyd Gottfredson's Mickey Mouse.
	Disney sued Air Pirates Inc. for plagiarism -- I think that
they were justified, honestly.  They settled for rights to the two
comics rather than an enormous fine.

	Bror Hellman imitating a newbie
	===============================
referred to one "Daniel Atterbom" amid a list of Disney comic
writers/artists.  Er... you mean Daniel Branca, right?
	Then: "I found a D.U.C.K Don signature!  Are there more?
I can't find it in Tailspin?"  Maybe not ;-), but you're closer than
you ever dreamed, because Don wrote 2 episodes of Talespin for
Disney-TV in 1989.

	Mark Mayerson caught my mistake
	===============================
	Mark:  "David, I don't think that Panchito was in Blame it on
the Samba.  That's Donald, Jose Carioca and the Aracuan Bird."
	Good call!  I mixed them up!  Remember the Aracuan Bird's
call...  "Adapapapapapapapapapapapapapadiya!"
	Anyone know if the Aracuan appeared in either Jose's or
Panchito's Sunday strips?

	Jon Cato Lorentzen on LO$ 11
	============================
	"Scrooge's rage and his imperialistic actions in the jungle
are handled very well.  Scrooge is almost unrecognisable as he
performs this evil deed, with his blackened face and furious eyebrows.
I can't see any reason why Disney would want to ban this."
	Simple... merely because it is a DEPICTION OF the oppression
of natives in Africa, no matter whether the oppressor is shown as good
or evil.  Besides, I'm sure DISNEY will say it is out of character for
Scrooge, although we know that's not true at that point in his life.
	I already fear that Disney and Gladstone will come to
tremendous loggerheads on this one.  Don, if Gladstone was denied
permission to print the story, would you, for example, do ANOTHER
chapter 11 just so Gladstone could print a LO$ that made sense?  I
don't know how committed you are to what Gladstone does.

	Mattias referred to
	===================
"Paul Murry's daily Mickey Mouse strip" as it appeared in WDC&S.
Well, I know that Murry did some of the pencilling on "The House of
Mystery" which ran in WDC&S 72-74.  He of course did a lot of work on
the long "gag" period from 1944-45.  Unfortunately, I just don't have
enough of the issues from the 1940s period (about 35%) to tell you
which ones contain Murry's work.  Worse, the gags (presented as
half-pagers) have all had dates removed, so the reader must go by the
mere inking style alone.  It's tough, because Murry was trying very
hard to imitate FG at the time.

	Harry on Patricia Pigg
	======================
	In my characters/peter-pig file, I wrote that "Percy and
Patricia Pigg are the only Mickey Mouse characters to be enjoying
married life."
	Harry:  "How about Captain and Mrs. Churchmouse?"
	Er -- uh -- I meant to say that.  ;-)
	Now that I think about it, Mickey left Spooks in the jungle at
the end of "In Search of Jungle Treasure," so perhaps our pongid pal
found himself a better half since then, too.
	Interesting update -- although Percy and Patricia are
definitively shown as married in several stories, Patricia's last name
is always spelt Pigg, while Percy's remains Pig.  In the
characters/peter-pig file, I accidentally said that their last names
were BOTH Pigg -- maybe that can be fixed?  Patricia kept her last
name when married.

	Oink!

	David Gerstein
	<David.A.Gerstein at williams.edu>