Disney-comics digest #307.

David A Gerstein David.A.Gerstein at williams.edu
Fri Apr 22 04:58:54 CEST 1994

	Dear Folks,

	So what else did Gottfredson do besides MM?

	He drew that Three Little Pigs story for the Christmas strip
in, I believe, 1963.  He drew an adaptation of the cartoon "Lambert
the Sheepish Lion" for the newspaper strip _Treasury of Classic Tales_
(in 1954).

	Two of the Silly Symphony Donald Duck Sundays in 1937 are very
clearly his work... two of the ones appearing in DD 283.  Gladstone
lists these as all Taliaferro, but FG is actually shown drawing one of
the two in a photo in _Mickey Mouse in Color_ and under close
inspection, that strip and the next week's don't look a whit like AT's
work.  So he did those two Donalds.

	On another tack... (OW!)

	DD 285 says that "The Secret of Mars" appeared in the Dec.
1937 _Topolino_???!  Gosh, no... it was in the December, 1937 issue of
_Paperino_, a companion series which only lasted for two years.  It
was presented in serial form, going into Feb. '38.

	But the correct information will appear in DD 286, in an
article I wrote to accompany the story.  That info is partly taken
from the book _Disney Italia_, and partly from what Fabio has told me
at times.

	As for my wondering whether DD 286 was NOW on sale... I meant
285, yeah, definitely 285.  I have DD 286 on the brain.

	Yours,

	David Gerstein
	<David.A.Gerstein at williams.edu>

	P. S.  Since Don's away, I'll mention that GotLL features the
origin of the Woodchucks' GUIDEBOOK, not of the Woodchucks themselves.