FAQ's, Lurkers, and unsubscribers

Trygve J Helseth trygve at maroon.tc.umn.edu
Fri Apr 22 16:11:49 CEST 1994

Hello All:

When James volunteered to write a FAQ file, I began to think a bit about
questions asked here and this mail list in general.  I am a relative
newcomer as I've only subscribed to this list since December 1993.

I first heard of this list back in August 1992 when I read a message
from Per in a cross-posted by Eric Walker in the Disney conference on
the RIME network.  It was what I had been looking for and I was ready to
sign up immediately; one hitch--I didn't have Internet access.

Since joining the list, I've seen numerous references to the lurkers
as to why they don't participate.  Of the approximately 100 subscribers,
it seems like no more than a dozen regularly post messages.

When I first joined I was overwhelmed by the depth of knowledge that the
regular participants displayed on Disney comics.  I was reluctant to
post messages as I felt I had nothing to add to the topic at hand.
After a while, though, I decided that if I wasn't going to participate I
would rather not be here.  So I started posting messages even if my
facts were shaky.  I know now that I will never achieve the depth of
knowledge that the regulars have on the subject, but yet I want to ba an
active participant in the list.

Now I would bet that the other lurkers out there have at least as much
and, no doubt, more to contribute than I do, but for one reason or
another choose not to participate.  Some just don't have the time, and
others may not care to post messages.  I'll bet, though, that there are
others who would like to participate but feel intimidated by the
experts.  I would guess that eventually they just give up and ultimately
join the ranks of the unsubscribed.

When I first started posting messages, I noticed that some regulars were
rather quick to jump on me when I said something in error.  These same
folks would basically ignore anything else I had to say.  So if you
want a response, just bait your message with a few boo boo's.  (Bad
breath is better than no breath...)

Well, I've rambled on a bit, and I'm not sure where I'm going with this
post.  I just think that this list is hard for that average Joe Lurker
to break into;  maybe we need a "novice" message area--I know I could
use it!

Tryg   Internet  tryg.helseth at tstation.mn.org
             or  trygve at maroon.tc.umn.edu

 * QMPro 1.51 * "Bother" said Pooh, and deleted the entire message base..