The Duck Who Never Was

David A Gerstein David.A.Gerstein at williams.edu
Tue Apr 26 02:01:58 CEST 1994

	Dear Folks,

	Don Rosa challenged us to a guessing game on his upcoming
story (to be published in DD 286) "The Duck Who Never Was."  He
explained what would have happened had Donald never existed:

	"Every single thing about Duckburg is screwed up and the lives
of ALL the Duckburg characters are ruined... EXCEPT ONE. Can you
guess WHO?"

	GLADSTONE GANDER!!!!!

	(Who's already been in FOUR of the five issues of DONALD DUCK
Gladstone has published so far in their new run...)

	BTW, Don, do you think that Disney comics would have remained
as popular as they were c. 1988 if Disney had never taken over from
Gladstone?
	(Not that they were VERY popular then... but that they were
more popular then than they are now.)

	I think that the show DUCK DAZE, coming up in fall '95, while
it will undoubtedly twist Barks' carefully established universe into
smithereens FAR WORSE than DUCKTALES did, will revive some interest in
Donald Duck among the general youth population.  We have to
acknowledge that DUCKTALES was a real boon to Scrooge's popularity --
in this woeful country of ours, this was many kids' first exposure to
the character.

	David Gerstein
	<David.A.Gerstein at Williams.edu>