What else, then?

Tryg Helseth trygve at maroon.tc.umn.edu
Thu Apr 28 02:52:47 CEST 1994

Mattias Hallin wrote:

>     You asked the other day why we use English on this list -- but what else
>could we do? How many would understand Swedish, f'rinstance, which is the
>language of our "moderator" (I'll call him that for want of a better word --
>remember, I'm translating this into English; or rather I don't as much
>TRANSLATE into English as I THINK in English when I write this -- even though I
>know Per doesn't actually MODERATE our list, but just makes sure it's running,
>or sumpin' like that) not to mention Finnish!

Mattias:

I agree it makes perfect sense to have a common language for this mail
list.  I just though that it is ironic that the chosen language is English
as it seems that Disney comics are not so popular in English speaking
countries.  (Well Canada and the U.S., anyhow--I can't speak for Great
Britain, Australia, etc.)

>I don't really think this is a problem, though -- most of us seems to get by
>fairly well in English, don't you think?

I don't think it's a problem -- I know it would be a problem for me if the
conversations were in Swedish, though...  :)

>a modern composition by a student composer at the Royal Academy of Music in
>Stockholm; and the piece was titled "Magica de Hex" -- which of course is
>Magica's name in Swedish. Well, whaddaya know!?!

Let me guess!   The admission price is one thin dime!  :)

Tryg Helseth  <trygve at maroon.tc.umn.edu>   Minneapolis, MN, USA
          or  <tryg.helseth at tstation.mn.org>

"I wish they all could be Calisota Ducks!" -The Beach Drakes