various ('diuerse'?)

Harry Fluks H.W.Fluks at research.ptt.nl
Thu Apr 28 17:40:52 CEST 1994

There were some problems with my mail today, so let's see if this arrives...

Languages
~~~~~~~~~
Sometimes, when I want to reply to a message on this list, I can't find
the right English words. Then, when I reconsider my reply, I decide it
is not worth the effort of looking up the words, so I skip the message.
So language *is* a barrier sometimes... but I saves you all a lot of
unnecessary Fluks messages!

Gladstone poll
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
David:
> Why did only one person enter the poll I posted about two
> weeks ago?

Mikko:
> The reason I didn't enter the poll is simple. I don't know
> what to answer your questions.

Apart from being quite busy, I basically agree with Mikko. I buy a comic
as a single issue and I wouldn't be able to choose the best *title* out
of the six. Also, I never gave much attention to letterers, scripters (apart
from Gerstein and Decker 8-) and colourists.

Mikko said:
> I buy Gladstone's comics quite randomly. I get a book if it has story by
> William Van Horn or Don Rosa - if I don't have a Finnish version already.

That's slightly different with me: I *always* buy the Rosa issues, except
the issues that have only a Rosa cover. I like to compare the different
versions in different languages of Don's work.

Barks index
~~~~~~~~~~~
Mikko:
> I usually skip the Bark's stories because I don't know if
> I have 'em already. Maybe I should buy one of those books
> that contains all info where and when was the stories published.

Or have a look at our ftp information. We have a Swedish Barks index, and
it should not differ that much from a Finnish one. Also, a complete list
of Barks' WDC ans Uncle $crooge stories is on ftp. (And soon to be expected:
a complete USA Barks index, generated by a program of the Disney comics
Database)

> I am also planning to buy Carl Bark's library or CBL in color,
> but I just can't afford it. I hope someday I can...

Yeah, they're expensive. In Holland, those albums cost 3 times as much
as a Dutch Barks album of the same quality...

Colours and colors in Rosa's stories
Don complained about the European colouring of the Life of Scrooge part 11.

But part 2 of the Lo$ has been coloured much better in Europe than it was
done by Gladstone! Gladstone had all the background characters the same
color, while Egmont coloured every "irritating" detail separately!

One question, Don: in the Egmont version, the Beagle Boys had sweaters with
all kinds of colours before they went to jail (and got numbers), and orange
sweaters afterwards. In the Gladstone version, the sweaters were orange from
the start. Which was your intention?

--Harry.