Disney-comics digest #314.

David A Gerstein David.A.Gerstein at williams.edu
Sat Apr 30 04:06:57 CEST 1994

	Hi, Folks!

	A whole lotta things to banter about today!  So let's wind up
the week with:

	Don on Marvel's distribution
	============================
	"I very, very seldom see the "Disney Comics distributed
by Marvel" Gladstones on the American newsstands next to the other
Marvels. They sell out before I see them? Yeah, right. No, it may be
Marvel falling down on the job..."
	I'll say it is.  My local drugstore does fairly good Disney
business -- sells only about 3 of each issue (of 5 which they're
shipped), but no more of almost every other comic they get, including
superhero stuff.
	But Marvel NEVER ships them UNCLE SCROOGE.  NEVER.  Whenever
it's the month for DDA/WDC&S/US, which are supposed to be a week
apart, there's always a 1-week break where WDC&S should be, and then
it comes, alone, the next week when there should also be US.
	Nope, from #283-286 (those have appeared on newsstands since
I've been at school this year), none of them have shown up here.  I've
had to have Mark Semich send them to me.
	A newsstand at a mall some ten miles from here gets all
Gladstones, and puts them all out.  They DO get US, although I don't
know about the other titles... four were there: DM, US, WDC&S, DDA.
It's clear that, like most places, they remove DDA when DD comes up
and vice versa... same with Scrooge titles.
	I'll see comic racks of Marvels in supermarkets.  Very often
with Gladstones among them.  But by no means always.
	In airports, there are racks of comics sometimes.  When the
rack only has, say, space for 8 different comics, Marvel will NEVER
put Disneys in it.  But if it has 12 titles, there's at least one
place for Gladstones... sometimes two.

	Elon on Super-Fethry
	====================
	"Has anybody seen stories in which Fethry Duck is a superhero
(Batman-like, but Fethry-style, if you know what I mean)? The name was
"Morcego Vermelho" in Brazil."
	Never saw them.  Sounds like Disney in this country would find
it too close for comfort to Darkwing Duck, though.  Darkwing even
looks (a little) like a costumed Fethry, although not as much without
his costume on.
	Is Darkwing on TV in Brazil?  If not, these could be Darkwing
stories from DISNEY ADVENTURES redrawn for Fethry.

	Ron Evry on BONE as Kelly
	=========================
	"[This strip contains] obvious parallels of Kelly characters
(Fone Bone = Pogo, Smiley = Albert [right down to the cigar], and
Phoney = Howland Owl)."
	Jeff Smith himself has drawn this connection:  Fone Bone =
Mickey Mouse, Smiley = Goofy, and Phoney = Uncle Scrooge!  Believe it
or don't!
	"I'd [like to] buy a reprint book of, say, "Prehysterical
Pogo in Pandemonia" (in fact I really would love to get my paws on
that book --)"
	Haw!  You gone about it absolutibobble wrong!  Just take yo'
natcheral born self down to some used-book shops, all and sundry-like.
Soon er later you find yo' self some character who don't know
CO-lecters pay inbelievabubble potfuls for them books.  S'what I did
-- at a store near my house, where'bouts "Prehysterical Pogo" cost me
a true-blue *** $3.50!!! ***
	Destroy a boy's faith in decent prices, will you?

	David Gerstein

	"A good landeeng, no, Dawnaldo?"
	"NO!"
	<David.A.Gerstein at Williams.edu>