From Daniel van Eijmeren

Daniel van Eijmeren H.W.Fluks at research.ptt.nl
Mon Aug 22 11:05:57 CEST 1994

Hi everybody,

DON:

I didn't believe what my eyes told me when I read how Grandey
treats you. I really hope that Barks himself has nothing to do with
it. I always try to believe that Barks doesn't know about the anti-
Rosa campaign and that he doesn't have any bad feelings about you.
How could he? Even if he doesn't like it that you're re-using ideas
from his stories, he'll have to realize that "his" Scrooge is
living again because of all those stories *you* made/make. And even
if he doesn't realize that, he doesn't have the right to backbite
you *personally*. But as I said, I'm still hoping he doesn't know
about this at all. (But that would be very stupid.)
I wondered several times why you don't try to contact Barks in
private to talk with him personally about his opinions about you.
Maybe that would give the right answer. I realize that it would now
probably work against you, because of the upcoming lawsuit. But why
didn't you contact Barks personally in the past?

I really hope that you will win the lawsuit against Grandey, may
the law be with you.

SCROOGE'S FORTUNE, MIKKO AND DON:
=================================

I revisited a very old discussion about the amount of Scrooge's
money, with adding a quote from "The Magic Hourglass".

> Scrooge: "I can't go on like this - losing a billion dollars a
> minute! I'll be broke in 600 years!"

Mikko answered:

Then Don said to Mikko:

> (...) Therefore skip it. Therefore stop.

Mikko answered:

> I was just answering to that guy, I didn't brought the subject to
> here.

It was not my purpose to reanimate an old discussion on this list.
But you must remember that I'm always very backdated because all
those digests and my comments go through snailmail. When I
commented about this old discussion, I had just read that
discussion and I saw that that quote was missing in it. I thought
that you overlooked it and then I added it, because I thought it
could be interesting to know.
I hope you understand my troubles with being backdated. Comments
and discussions can be new to me, when you already forgot about it.
I am trying to persuade my father to buy a modem, but he still
doesn't want to buy one. So I have still a rather long way to walk
to talk with you.

Barks in Holland
================

There were a lot of comments in the Dutch newspapers about Barks'
visit, but they used only old interviews of Barks in it. But now I
got hand on an article in "De Telegraaf" were Barks comments were
new (it was published on the "woman"-pages!!!). Here are some parts
of it:

"Donald Duck isn't a duck, he only looks like one."

His house is full of Donald Duck-figures, on his clothes you can
always find a comic-duck, with a walking Donald nearby him he is at
his ease and witnessing the cover of the latest Duck-comic, a
little role in Duckburg can suit Carl Barks (93) very well. [A
caricature of Barks is shown on that cover.]
Carl Barks is impressed by all the positive attention he gets
during his journey through Europe: "Half of my life I could hide
behind Donald and his family. I never wanted to talk or being
social, I wanted to draw. Now I'm invited for a journey through
Europe and all what I do is talking. Everywhere press, everywhere
honouring and everywhere visits to important persons. In America
there is even a Barks-avenue. I find all that attention very
scary."
"I may be very aged, but I always feel like a kid. I think that I
have begun with my second or maybe even my third youth. Ah, I never
got grown-up properly."
It was in the seventies that Barks became very well-known by the
readers and they pelt him with letters. He became so populair at
once that he and his wife bought a mobile home, so that they could
move when too much fans had discovered his private adress.
Barks is now retired, but he paints every day. The paintings bring
up 200,000 each. But the money, in view of his age, doesn't mean
much to him. "I'm thankful that Donald stays alive."
At the moment that Barks meets the comic artists and sees their
work, the press is kept on a distance. It not only means very much
to the artists, for Barks the meeting or even confrontation with
their work is a highlight as well: "It is splendid!" People who
don't understand all this bustle about a comic-duck, Barks can let
them have it, his winged comment is: "Donald Duck isn't a duck, he
only looks like one."

De Telegraaf, 16 july 1994, by Babette Wieringa.

(Help!) Guardians of the Lost Library

Does anyone of you have a copy of GotLL for me?

(Help again!) Original giveaways

Does someone of you have some original versions (pasted or not) of
Barks' giveaway-stories?

Very much greetings,

Daniel van Eijmeren.

- "*Why* is that bird Grandey singing that way out there?"
- "Oh! Maybe it's glad! Maybe it's sad! Maybe it's a little *mad*!"