Disney-comics digest #408.

Larry Gerstein gerstein at math.ucsb.edu
Fri Aug 26 23:52:28 CEST 1994

        Dear Folks,

        Here's Don Rosa on the San Diego panel:

>        I did find out later that Heidi MacDonald, who was supposed to
>show up on this Digest but never has for some reason, was offended that
>she wasn't invited to be on the panel as representing the Disney TV
>comics (as seen in DISNEY ADVENTURES digest).

        But.... but.... I DID SEND AN INVITATION TO HEIDI MACDONALD!  If
you're still reading this, Ms. MacDonald, all I can say is that it musta
gotten lost in the mail.  Quite frankly, I'm stewed!  I wanted to have you
there...

>        I didn't get a chance to talk to Daan Jippes... but I discovered
>why when Grandey, speaking with Barks' voice, condemns my work and
>praises both Van Horn's and Jippes'; as I suspected, Grandey is the
>sales agent for both of them.

        I talked extensively to Jippes after I saw that the Grandeys were
his agents.  He told me that while he may do business with them, he is
opposed to what they have said about you, Don.  "When they have brought up
Don Rosa to me," he told me, "I have told them that I cared nothing about
what they think of him, and want nothing to do with any of their relations
with Don Rosa.  I told them to leave me out of it."  Jippes apparently
likes your work, Don, and he told me that "I'll keep out of it, and I think
this whole thing will eventually blow over."

        I know, Don, that you may feel that if he doesn't agree with the
Grandeys, he shouldn't give them the privilege of selling his artwork!
Can't say I don't share that view.  But take it from me -- Daan Jippes is
NOT your enemy.  In fact, he had only recently started selling his art --
long after those interviews appeared in which Barks praised Jippes.

        Anyway, Don, I can give you Daan's address or phone if you want.
There was no scheme afoot to keep Daan Jippes from you -- he was merely
only at the convention for about four hours, that's all.  He left at
dinnertime that same day that my panel occurred, and had only come there
just a few minutes beforehand.  I'm sure he would be glad to here from you.

        (I've sent this to the digest at large so that all of you would
know Daan Jippes' stance on all of this.)

        Last... I would have had some representatives from Marvel's Disney
comics there, but Gladstone was unable to help me reach them.  Apparently
it is impossible to get through the red tape at Marvel.  If anyone here
works on Marvel's Disney books, or knows someone who does, I would be
grateful to know how to get in touch with that person.

        All the best (again),

        David Gerstein
        <gerstein at math.ucsb.edu>

gerstein at math.ucsb.edu