Model building, and Vicar

Jørgen Andreas Bangor jorgenb at ifi.uio.no
Mon Dec 5 20:46:21 CET 1994

MIKE:
>JORGEN: (are you sure it isn't J|rgen?-)
It is indeed J|rgen, but I don't think everybody on this list
are familiar with ISO 646 ;-)

>how the heck do you give shape for those car parts you make by yourself?

Well... that's what I'm trying to find out. I've made my own parts
earlier, but this will be the first time I build most of the body.
     Plastic and tin are easy to cast, that is, they melt at low temperatures.
So does lead, but it smells bad, and is also quite poisonous (gallium and
mercury are not very useful...). A little lead in the tin make the "tin"
more rigid though.
     Then I need an original part, from which I can make a mold. Plastilin
is a good material for this part. The problem is how to make the mold. It
must not destroy the original part, at least not before it's finished, and
it must not be destroyed by the material poured into it later. I have a
few ideas, which I will try out in the coming vacation.
     Another way, which I think I will use for the biggest parts, is to
build it like they built cars in earlier times. Make a model in wood, then
use metalsheets and shape them with a hammer on the wooden model. I think
I will try the metal in soft drink cans. It's thick enough to not being
destroyed just by being breathed at, and thin enough to easily be shaped.
     A lot of model builders use so called vacu forms to make bodys (in
plastic (polystyren)), but I don't know anything about that technique (yet).

Last night I made a "model" in plastilin of Uncle Scrooge dressed like a
knight. I tried to make him exactly like Don's small drawing on the front
cover of the latest Uncle Scrooge (adding one dimension, though). The
body was quite easy. Lots of lovely details to put on the model, but the
expression in the face was quite difficult. Well, just a few more heads...

Vicar
-----
To make this a bit more Disney-comics again...
In this studio of Vicar, there are some people inking his pencils, right?
Could this make the drawings look a bit different from story to story?
When I look at a story, I am often quite sure that it's drawn by Vicar,
but it still looks a bit different from another story, which I'm also
quite sure is drawn by Vicar. I guess this studio could be the explanation
to this problem.
I don't think I like all those diagonal "side walls" in his panels, BTW.

   Jorgen