From RoC

Lasse Reichstein Nielsen lrn at daimi.aau.dk
Tue Dec 13 15:33:53 CET 1994

Here a last minute core-dump from unsent answers to month-old
digests:

dON> ...
>is the function that the nephew team fulfills, but Donald doesn't need
>to follow the Kids' advice since they're just kids. If there was an
>adult around with Donald to tell him how to act like an adult the whole
>story system would collapse.
 But he has 3 adults in the house, his best (and only?) friends:
Hughey, Dewey and Louie! As $crooge knows so well, they are the
de facto guardians of Donald as well as the vault of wisdom.
Donald however doesn't take advise from ANYONE, he always learns
the hard way. Orphaned and living alone on a houseboat as a duckling,
without an education, savings or job security, I admire Donald's
ability to cope with a tough life...

>From: James Williams <James_Williams at ESS.NIAID.pc.niaid.nih.gov>
>Subject: Various
>
>Jorgen,
>
>>What's the difference between Barks DD and Disney DD?
>
>Disney's Donald Duck is an actor who play whatever role they
>want him to.  Other than a few stereo types (his voice and
>temper) nothing remains the same.  Carl Bark claim to fame
>is that he turned this two dimensional character into a
>real person.

 In an interview with Danish TV, Barks used the infamous phrase:
"Donald Duck is an actor..." Just like Floyd G. said about MM.
I might produce a transcript for you one day.

---

DIGEST 457-487:
 Due to my mail server's recent migration from the Reichstein Mansion,
I've lost my access to a computer (and my dcd-archives) on a daily basis.
I now get a month's worth of mail at a time, and only the Shadow knows
when you'll get this letter.

DAVID:
 Just to tell you that I re-read your 'Double DeTrick' story several times,
in all the Nordic languages; finally a writer who knew his Barks.
At the time I had no idea it was you, though.
As requested here are the words Magica used:

Danish: "Yksi, kaksi, fem og seks! G|r mig til en... *dobbeltheks*!"
Swedish: "Ha! Titta d{rf|r noga p}! Nu blir jag... *Magica g}ngar tv}*!"
Norwegian: "Denne hekse-kunsten vil forvandle meg til... *dobbeltheks*!"
Finnish: "Panin loitsun paremmaksi, hokkus pokkus... meit' on kaksi!"

 Only the Danish and the Finnish translations are incantations, and the
Danish partly in Finnish! (Yksi, kaksi, kolme = 1 - 2 - 3).

 And if - no make it *when* - it appears in the US, please use the title
"Uncle $crooge and the Vesuvan Doppelganger" - as a reference to Richard
Garfield's "Magic - the Gathering" cardgame, where a card of this name
appears, which in all likelihood is based on Barks' "The Many Faces of
Magica de Spell". Preproduction versions of the game used illustrations
from comic books; like "Power Sink" featuring Calvin in a toilet.
 The complexity of the game has given it cult-status especially among math-
maticians, so I guess your father would have heard about it, David.

 Could you tell us how to subscribe to UK-MM, as I would enjoy an Egmont
issue in the English tongue, instead of the usual North Barbarian dialects.

 HARRY (WARNING EVERYBODY: IT'S THE INDEX!)
 I would have commented on the index discussion, but I don't remember
(and can't check now) if I finished and sent you a letter recently
(with a new tree-structure for lysator among other things), and don't
know if the subject has been entirely outlawed on the list, so here's
just a (re-?)statement of my opinion:
 My index of Danish "Anders And's" has the Danish titles as they appear.
I don't 'correct' a Dutch story to it's original title, though I could
find it in your index. I wouldn't change it to an English title either,
just because Gladstone published it.
 Some stories, like "Only a Poor Old Man", are as widely known as the
Gospel of Luke. The wording and the title "Den Lure Onkel Skrue" is just
as canonical, at least here in the Nordic countries, even if it's dated
by half a century. King James' Bible may be a poor translation from the
Hebrew and Greek, but it *is* the first English translation, and if a new
translation differs, it's... wrong somehow.

 Why not consider each country's issue files as part of a huge interlingual
reference guide, just like the character list we have, and let the user
of the main program choose the default language of its output?
DIZNIREP *is* supposed to allow 'ornery folks' to use it someday, innit?

 Oh, and about Latin-1 and ISO; I substitute the three odd Danish (and
Swedish and Norwegian) characters with {, |, and } (at an early stage I
decided to skip the capitals to speed up typing), so they at least are
different instead of all being x's. Convert at your leisure. Of course
you haven't got my latest index yet, and neither have I; hopefully it's
still somewhere on Lasse's harddisk. Anyway I'll be busy until May '95
unless I'm 'fired' from my current pseudo-job-for-the-unemployed...

Deck the walls with gorgonzola, and if you don't hear from me for a while,
enjoy X-mas, Boxing day, Chanukah, New Year and whatever...

 Ole ('RoC') Reichstein Nielsen

(P.S. I haven't had time to read this letter, so there...)

(P.S.S. A *beautiful* Marco Rota story in NDD & DAA #49/94, and what's
that thing with a 'Donna Rosa'?!)