Tulips, wind mills and stuff

H.W. Fluks fluks at pcssdc.pttnwb.nl
Fri Dec 16 09:25:54 CET 1994

MITCH:
me>Now that I think of it, some Dutch may pronounce the word ['job'] as 'shop'.
> Hmmm.  Then, you confuse 'job' with 'retail establishment," which ain't
> necessarily the same thing.

No, I don't confuse the words. I really heard some Dutch people say 'shop' when
they meant 'job'. The word is sometimes used in Dutch. For instance, late comedian
Wim Kan once said "full-time shop".

BTW: I now read the USA version of the Transvaal story (Lo$ 6, US 290). The Dutch
guy seems to have grown tulips in Amsterdam. I must say this sounds a bit silly:
a rural occupation in a "big" city. Something like a cowboy in New York City. Hm...
I don't know if the song "Tulips from Amsterdam" is known outside Holland and Germany,
but I always considered the tulips to be _sold_ in Amsterdam, not _grown_.

--Harry.