MM story for WDCIC

David A Gerstein David.A.Gerstein at williams.edu
Thu Feb 3 20:36:08 CET 1994

	Dear Folks,

	I've just read about the new WDC IN COLOR series and the
possibility of a MM issue soon.  What Gottfredson story to use?  Well,
since "Hoppy the Kangaroo" and the other Walsh story, "The
Pirate Ghostship" are already scheduled for WDC&S, this leaves only
two album stories to be reconstituted -- BOTH of 'em too long to be in
a mere 64-pager.  So it follows that the story choice will HAVE to be
something that hasn't been used before.

        My own recommendation is to use the 1931 story "MM Boxing
Champion."  The story is from the period when the strips break
perfectly in half.  Fine negatives exist... when that aborted book of
Gottfredson reprints was in the works at Disney Publishing, I saw
proofs to that story, made from their negatives, which were crystal
clear... just PERFECT.

	Another fine choice would be 1941's "Love Trouble" -- the
strips, in six-panel pages ENTIRELY cleaned up, can be ordered from
Western, as the story appeared, uncut I believe, in MM BIRTHDAY PARTY
Giant #1, in 1953.  46 pages I think.

        In any event, that's all for now, folks.

        Your friend,

        David Gerstein