Disney-comics digest #232.

Mark Semich mas at cs.bu.edu
Sat Feb 5 18:40:26 CET 1994

72260.2635 at CompuServe.COM (Don Rosa) writes:
>       Anyway, had you heard of the new Gladstone "showcase" title,
>WALT DISNEY'S COMICS IN COLOR, that would feature a wide array of
>different "classic" Disney comics -- the theme of issue 1 being
>Donald's 60th Birthday? You saw the ads?
>       This will give you another in the endless list of ideas of
>what it's like dealing with Disney. I used to call 'em the Evil
>Empire -- a better name might be the Certifiably Insane Empire.
>Disney told Gladstone that they could not add a new title to their
>line of comics.

Yowch!  Extremely insane indeed.  I was very much looking forward to
this book and for the opportunity to see stories that couldn't be
presented elsewhere. (like potential "Perils of Mickey" stuff.)  Does
this mean that Gladstone couldn't publish a "Mickey Mouse" title even
if they wanted to?  Or is it the fact that WDCiC is a new *title* that
Disney (tm) objects to?  (But MM would be okay because it's a cancelled
title?)

======

I thought that "The Last of the Clan McDuck" was wonderful!  One of
the things that I appreciated was the attention to details regarding
characterization - like the way Scroogey's hand clamps around his
first dime after he earns it.

I noticed that part way through the story, Scrooge's side-burns begin
to make an appearance.  Just how much does he age from the begining to
the end of part 1?