a review and questions about US 285 (Lo$ 1)

Harry Fluks H.W.Fluks at research.ptt.nl
Mon Feb 7 10:56:59 CET 1994

I bought U$ 285 last weekend. Though I already had the Dutch version, it is
nice to have the "original" version too.
Some remarks:

The first page was not in the Dutch version, so I assume Don drew it especially
for Gladstone. (Am I right?)

No art has been changed, except on page 2, panel 3, where a tombstone is
enlarged. The whole panel was made larger because the caption is smaller.
This is just a very tiny adjustment.

On page 2, panel 2, it says that the castle has been abandoned since the
13th century. The Dutch version said 17th century, and I think that is the
original, since on page 3 the year 1675 is mentioned. Did Gladstone make
a lettering-error here?

On page 7, panel 5, Scrooge says "The first coin I ever earned from my own
labor!" I find it a bit strange to see the American spelling of "labour" in
a text where everyone talks with a (more or less slight) Scottish accent.
Maybe it's me? To me, 'labor' sounds different from 'labour'...

They had Don write an article about "The Making of Lo$" in the comic. I think
the list of original Barks comics spoils the fun of finding these references
yourself...

The story is quite good. A flaw is that it's a concatenation of anecdotes,
in stead of one rounded story. But what can one expect from a Lo$ where a lot
of facts have to be told?

I said 'quite good', because it's not excellent. Part 2 of the Lo$, THAT's an
excellent story.

--Harry.