Valdres and the Winter Olympics

bjorn-are.davidsen@s.televerket.tele.no bjorn-are.davidsen at s.televerket.tele.no
Tue Feb 15 14:02:14 CET 1994

After having lurked some months (I think since
the Teddy Roosevelt discussion) I am back again with
some information on Norwegian music and the Winter
Olympic Sotry. It is a bit calmer on the job these two
Olympic weeks...

To Chris:

About your non comic stuff:

> The other night in the band I play in (a concert
>band where I play trombone) we played a song
>called "Valdres". Our Conductor said "Valdres is to
>Norwegians as Stars and Stripes Forever is to
>Americans". Is this true.

I think your conductor does have a point, but he does
exaggerate a bit. "The Valdres March" (in Norwegian
"Valdresmarsjen") is a "song" (no lyrics though)
based on traditional Norwegian folk music (from
Valdres), and it is popular. But it can in no way be
considered in the same vein as Stars and Stripes
in the US. I don't think ANY Norwegian song really
can that (although Grieg's "In The Hall of The
Mountain King" does touch some deep emotions,
perhaps from or Viking (or Troll?) heritage).

To Don:

Last week the Norwegian Newspaper "V}rt Land"
(the "}" is the last letter in the Norwegian alphabet
and pronouced like the "a" in "fall", but will NOT
get through in the correct way to the digest) carried
an article on "The Olympic spirit without the Olympic
Duck?". The headline is a pun based om the word for
duck which in Norway is "and" and the word for spirit
which is "}nd" (the same letter "}" as mentioned above).

In this aritcle the journalist Kjetil Hanssen tells us (after
a short summary of the story) that "The artist Don Rosa
has become very popular among Donald-loving Norwegians.
Next week Rosa pays back by giving us a special story
about the furious Duck's struggle to get to Lillehammer."

Then more summary of the story before we get some
interesting information:
"Don Rosa visited Norway last summer, and has done a
thorough research. The drawings he got from LOOC
(Lillehammer Olympic Organisation Comitee) did among
other things show a glass wall in front of the Olympic Fire
at the Lysg}rdsbakken Ski Jump. However, this wall was
taken out of the plans later. Don Rosa shows us how it
might have looked like."

Incidentially, the Opening Ceremony (as some of you may
have seen on television) did feature a ski jumper with the
Olympic Torch (no ducks or rockets though).

Bjorn Are Davidsen

P.S. I love lurking - even in book stores and Disney
Shops (I was present when the Shop in Regent Street
in London formally was opened some years ago -
but may be back with more writings in less than
three months this time (b.t.w. has the reaction in some
Norwegian anti-racist circles to Gottfredsson's "Thursday"
story (republished in Norway last month) been discussed
in the Digest? I was off the list for technical reasons at
the time in January and don't know if anyone mentioned it.)