Donald's birthday

Per Starback starback at Minsk.DoCS.UU.SE
Mon Jul 4 14:10:58 CEST 1994

Andrew Davies wrote:

> BTW, I saw a Donald Duck animated cartoon yesterday, in which HD&L set
> out to buy Donald a box of cigars for his birthday, and he thinks they
> are going to smoke them, and forces them to do so. This was notable for
> two reasons (at least): DDs birthday was given as 13th March, and [...]

That's not the only place where Donald's birthday's given as March 13.
That was perfectly alright with me that Donald's birthday *inside* the
frame was something else than the date when he made his debut
*outside* the frame, but nowadays I guess it is settled more or less
that June 9 is his birthday even inside the frame.  At least that was
the way it was (intended) in Don's 60th anniversary story and here in
Sweden I think the translator (Stefan Dios) has "corrected" other
dates to be June 9 when Donald's birthday has been mentioned. (I think
that the date given in Marco Rota's net.famous "Buon compleanno,
Paperino" -- also called "My life in an eggshell" here, as that's the
Swedish title -- was March 13 in the original for instance, even
though it's not in the Swedish translation.
Per Starback, Uppsala, Sweden.  email: starback at minsk.docs.uu.se
 "Life is but a gamble!  Let flipism chart your ramble!"