Disney-comics digest #374.

Don Rosa 72260.2635 at compuserve.com
Tue Jul 5 06:20:32 CEST 1994

MATTIAS:
	My real question was simply curiosity as to whether my friends
at NAFS(k) were aware of Grandey's "famous FAX", and knew him for what
he was and were wary of what he might do at their meeting or elsewhere.
I really didn't think anyone should ACTUALLY bring up the matter with
him at a meeting with Barks! My main interest is not confronting Grandey
with this matter at this time, but that Mr. Barks has the absolutely
most wonderful time of his or any life, and that nothing whatsoever
infringe on his finally getting the public acclaim he deserves! I'm
delighted that he's holding up well under the strain (even this
hours-long ride on an ancient boat!) and I think it's great. (I just
wish Grandey wasn't getting a free ride or basking in the limelight and
the power that such a hyper-weasel doesn't deserve. So, Mattias, please
don't let anyone in your group think I really thought someone should
confront Grandey with his sins in the venue of your Barks meeting!
	Anyway, I see your FAX number. I'll send you The Weasel's
original FAX as well as the rebuttal messages that Byron Erickson has
written to send to involved parties.

GEIR:
	I look forward to hearing more of your report on Barks' trip.
I'm not sure why you blame the Norwegian editor (Svein Erik Soland?) for
the manipulation of the fans and press, or for the deletion of mention
of Rosa from all press releases. Of course, he's at least partly
responsible, but he had little choice. It was part of the agreement for
Barks to cooperate with Egmont's promotion that *I* must not be
mentioned -- what could he do? His first concern is to please his
bosses by making Barks happy (which means doing what Barks' weasel
says), and hope he (Soland) can live through the whole visit (which was
much harder on him than on any 93-year-old, I'm sure). As I've said,
Svein Erik helping Grandey see that I become a non-entity only lasts
for a few weeks, and it really can't harm me one iota. I can stand it
if it makes Barks' European visit a happier time for him.
	Your telling the VG people about the "schism" was nice of you,
but I wonder how wise? I hope they didn't blow it out of proportion...
and if they did mention it, if they blamed any of it on Barks without
singling out the Weasel instead, it wasn't right. But I thank you for
the thought -- maybe you can send me a copy of that article sometime?

PER:
	Don't ask me why, but someone named RICH MATTHEWS left me a
message on COMPUSERVE to have him "unsubscribed". Okay?