Moby Duck

James Williams James_Williams at ESS.NIAID.pc.niaid.nih.gov
Mon Jun 13 17:58:44 CEST 1994

Harry,

>I've only seen a few Moby Duck stories though, because he has seldom
>been published in Holland.

This winter, I bought some Gold Key Moby Ducks.  After reading them, I
can tell you why Holland isn't doing any new stories or reprints of
Moby Duck.  His previous stories were terrible.  There are two real
problems with him.  First, he is a whaler.  While this may have been
okay in the 60s and 70s, I find it hard to admire or like a character
who brags about the size and number of whales he has killed.  Second,
Moby's crew is absurd.  Everything from Dimwitty (who make Goofy look
like a genius) to a porpouse sidekick.  It is too bad because I think
the basic idea has a lot of potential.  Making him into a world
traveler who gets caught up in various adventures would work -or-
making him a tug boat for hire (like TaleSpin) would also work.

James Williams