Geir's story reviews

Harry Fluks H.W.Fluks at research.ptt.nl
Tue Mar 29 15:16:53 CEST 1994

Geir, you're very good in expressing things. Just like Fredrik, I
often think "that's just what I think" when I read your comments. But I
can't put my thoughts as good on "paper" as you can. Most of the time,
my remarks are not more than "I like Rosa" and stuff like that.

Maybe that's why most of my comments on this list are about facts, like:

> And for that sake the Milton/Jippes
> collaboration (I think it was) in one of the recent Norwegian DD, where
> Donald wants to be a part of the High Society club of Duckburg - cant
> remember its name, but he sells everything to be able to wear that hat.

This story (reprinted in Gladstone's first WDC) was not by Milton. It was
the first 10-page Duck story Jippes ever wrote (and one of the few he
wrote on his own). Jippes also pencilled it (3 years after he wrote it),
and Verhagen inked it.

> The story is unrealistic and Donald is very reduced as a human being. I didnt
> like that one because of its presentation of Donald, but the story itself
> read well and had a good drive.

About the amount of realism: the story always reminds me of the Cornelius
Coot statue story. Both very good stories (..there I go again..), both quite
unrealistic.

And since I'm already interfering in the discussion between David and Geir:

David:
>        BY THE WAY... something NO other writer has taken up is the
> idea that Magica not only wants the dime, but other mythical magical
> objects, and that she can compete with Scrooge for *them!*

Geir:
> That is exactly what I mean, yes.

I still think one can create perfect new stories with Magica wanting the
dime. You mentioned Rosa's "Silver Platter": that's a good example.
I think Magica is not the right Magica if she's "just a witch", replaceable
by e.g. Hazel.

--Harry.