Disney-comics digest #326.

M-O-O-N spells Elmo, laws yes morrow at physics.rice.edu
Thu May 12 21:07:01 CEST 1994

Fredrik Ekman <d91fe at neptunus.pt.hk-r.se> writes:
>Greg wrote:
>> William Van Horn was nominated as best cartoonist for his work in WDC&S.
>> Don "No Respect" Rosa was not nominated.

>Could you please tell us poor non-English-as-first-language-speaking
>devils exactly what "cartoonist" signifies in this particular context?

I double-checked.  The actual cateogry is "Writer/Artist or Cartoonist".
I suspect the difference between Wartist and Cartoonist is style and
humor content.  Cartoonists use "cartoony" art (big-foot style, caricatures,
funny animals, etc.) and produce mostly humorous work.

The complete category nominations are:

12. Best Writer/Artist or Cartoonist

   Phil Foglio, XXXenophile (Palliard Press) [also Buck Godot (Palliard) --gm.]

   Roberta Gregory, Naughty Bits (Fantagraphics)

   Stan Sakai, Usagi Yojimbo (Fantagraphics/Mirage)

   Dave Sim, Cerebus (Aardvark-Vanaheim)

   Jeff Smith, Bone (Cartoon Books)

   William Van Horn, Walt Disney's Comics and Stories, Donald Duck Adventures
   (Gladstone)

Of these, Phil Foglio, Stan Sakai, Jeff Smith, and William Van Horn are
cartoonists.

Incidentally, I'm familiar with the work of everyone on this list except
Roberta Gregory.  Every single one of them is a good-to-excellent read.
(My vote would go to Foglio.)  Word-of-mouth on Gregory is also excellent.

	greg
--
"The use of unnecessary force in the apprehension of the Blues Brothers has
been approved."--The Blues Brothers

elmo (morrow at physics.rice.edu,morrow at fnal.fnal.gov)