Disney-comics digest #480.

DAVID.A.GERSTEIN 9475609 at arran.sms.edinburgh.ac.uk
Wed Nov 2 12:38:48 CET 1994

      Dear Folks,

The accent business (again!)
=== ====== ======== ========
> [Dwight] recalled a '30s Porky Pig cartoon
> in which Porky's mother had a German accent
This is "Wholly Smoke" (1938).  Porky's mom calls him downstairs:
"Porky PIIIIG --- Sooey!  Sooey!  Sooey!  Sooey!  Sooey!"  One of the
great ones, all right.
> (The thought has also occurred to me maybe Porky's
> mother doesn't have a German accent but a Yiddish one, with the non-PC
> joke of course being a Jewish pig . . .
I don't think Porky's mom is Jewish.  But in the more recent Warners
cartoons "Tiny Toon Adventures," Porky's young, distant relation
Hamton J. Pig is indeed Jewish.  Seen celebrating Chanukah in one
episode, and with grandparents (seen on several occasions) who are
clearly New York Jews in their accents.  (I ought to know -- I'm
Jewish, and many of my relatives have that same accent!)  I get a big
kick out of the Jewish-pig joke.
But enough with the Looney Tunes.  I love them, but I don't think
this is the place I ought to talk about them...

Gus and Jaq
=== === ===
> > .... (I'd still like to know how two 16th Century French mice ended
> >up on Grandma Duck's farm -- ah, the mysteries of Disney comics!)
I believe that the 1950 issue of VACATION PARADE has a story about
Gus and Jaq having left home and wandering through the city.  (They
have a memorable encounter with soda-clerk Daisy Duck.)  Then a few
months afterward, the GD feature began in WDC&S, and there it's
explained in the very first one how Gus and Jaq came to live with
Grandma.  There is a LOT of continuity within the first year of the
GD feature -- references to previous stories, etc.  Also, the first
few episodes of GD, to give them their whole titles, say:  "Grandma
Duck, with Gus and Jaq: 'The Cinderella Mice.'"  So it was clearly
intended as a publicity move, I believe.  Only the mice stayed long
after the film left the theatres...

Inconsistencies in scheduling stories
=============== == ========== =======
> In the first DD story Donald is a journalist [in DD&Co. 44/1994]
This was in the British #40/1994.  ???!  And I thought that the
stories usually appeared within a week of each other, aside from some
LO$ episodes...
Did my "Two in One" (D93138) ever appear in Germany?  My German
friends tried to find it, but have looked in the German MM every week
with no luck.  Surprising because the German MM is at least 48 pages
each week, and I can't imagine they would have neglected this
10-pager for lack of space.  It was in #39/1994 everywhere else, but
not in Germany.  Do our German members want to help me?  This is a
story in which Magica de Spell tries to steal Scrooge's dime by
creating a duplicate of herself, which she's supposed to be able to
control with her mind.  Unfortunately, she loses mental control of
the double, and a riotous battle ensues.

U$A 30
=== ==
features the first part of "The Lentils of Babylon," as rewritten
(from Italian) in English by yours truly.  Gladstone DID NOT PUT
ENGLISH-TRANSLATION CREDITS in the issue, so I am not mentioned!  But
it's my work, and I'm proud to claim responsibility for this.  (And
if I can possibly get through to John Clark, my translator friend
Micheal Thompson -- and myself -- will both be credited next issue.)

      That's all for today, folks.  I'll be back, though.

      David Gerstein
      <9475609 at arran.sms.ed.ac.uk>
      "If you'd been through the trouble I've seen, you wouldn't be
singing Glory Hallelujah!"