Disney-comics digest #481.

9475609@arran.sms.edinburgh.ac.uk 9475609 at arran.sms.edinburgh.ac.uk
Thu Nov 3 12:58:57 CET 1994

      Dear Folks,

      Jorgen was talking about the vastness and confusion of the various
Disney universes, particularly when it came to Duckburg's Black Forest
(where damned near everybody from the features seems to reside).  An
interesting fact comes out when he mentions Little Toot:  Disney has
LOST all rights to this character save their own film featuring him!  So
when Cris Palomino wanted to reprint the Little Toot story in WDC&S
578-579, at the very last moment, she was informed by the legal
department that this couldn't be done.  This led to dreadful confusion
and some sudden switching of stories about by subordinates -- and the
final, awful end result of, in WDC&S 579, Part III of Paul Murry's
"Ridin' the Rails" appearing when no previous parts had come before it.
Cris Palomino's chin hit her knees when she saw what had gone to
press...

      There was a Donald story in DD 245 (last Whitman issue) in which
Donald was at Grandma's farm when she happened to be chasing Zeke Wolf
off same rural establishment.  And for about the only time, Li'l Bad
Wolf stepped in to complain about his father's ill treatment, and I
believe he got consoled by Donald!
      And that's not the only time those two have appeared in the same
story.  WDC&S 115 has a story where Donald takes a vacation in a forest
cottage, that turns out to be the Three Pigs' home (they have leased it,
while they are on a vacation).  This is that issue's LW story.  Gil
Turner draws a good Donald, too (but we've seen that, when Disney Comics
reprinted a few of his one-page DDs near the end of their run).
      I really enjoy Gil Turner's LW stories from the late 1940s and
early 1950s.  He had some measure of continuity in them, and the
characterization is quite good, too.  He did some other good ones in the
mid-'50s, too (some of which Disney reprinted).  Unfortunately, there
were many others who handled the Wolf feature, not all of them doing so
well at it.

      In the 11/88 issue of the Egmont monthly MM (at least its German
incarnation) -- I mean the one released for MM's 60th birthday -- there
was an Esteban story of a treasure hunt, or something, with Mickey,
Donald, Goofy, and Uncle Scrooge.  That wouldn't have been a bad idea
except that the writer also included Daisy, Minnie, and BOTH sets of
nephews.  The story was just crammed with supporting characters for no
good reason.  Did anyone else catch that one?  It's the only Egmont
crossover story between Mice and Ducks that I recall.... unless they did
the similar one that appeared in the German weekly's 2000th issue, and I
believe that one was made by the Germans themselves.

      When it comes to that story in which CD go to the Disney film of
Cinderella, I... can't believe it.  Floyd Gottfredson is the only writer
who ever dealt with his character's film appearances in a consistent and
satisfactory way (by making Mickey's job, while he wasn't away on
adventures, be as an actor).  But then we have things like that "This Is
Your Life, DD" story, in which everyone down to Lumpjaw appears as
Donald's fellow ACTORS in jobs at Disney, at the end of the story.  What
a MESS.  Are we to believe that Lumpjaw staggers out of the forest to
report to work?  I get lumps on my own jaw just gnashing my teeth,
trying to sort it all out.

      I had to deal with the whole "universe" thing when I wrote
Egmont's official DD and MM Universe Guides in 1992.  I have it that
Duckburg and Mouseton are separated by Pickleburg and the Black Forest.
That's the only way I could reconcile (A) the DD and MM characters only
occasionally meeting, and (B) how those characters from the forest seem
to cross over a lot.  I also have it that Donald lived in Mouseton
during his younger years, then moved to Duckburg.  I classify the
earlier AT strips and all the Pedrocchi stories as taking place before
Donald's move.  And when DD moved to Duckburg, he adopted the Nephews
for good, I guess.

      In two weeks, we'll see DDA 30, a very good Fernandez/Block story
that I saw at the San Diego Comic Con last summer.  This is a story
pairing DD, HDL, and Witch Hazel with... Goofy.  Well done, too.  Disney
coughed and sputtered at Goofy appearing with DD, but let it pass.
However, they DID insist that Goofy be redrawn from a 1937 Goofy (as he
was originally drawn in the story) to a 1951 Goofy (a la Murry), saying
that the 1930s Goof wasn't compatible with the 1950s Ducks.

      I was present when Pat Block showed said story to Don Rosa.  Sorry
to mention this here, Don, but... folks, you should have seen Don's face
when he saw Goofy in that story.

      Best wishes,
      David Gerstein
      <9475609 at arran.sms.ed.ac.uk>
      "Bah!  Why couldn't beavers do the work, while we wolves collected
the money?"