Little Toot and Bongo

Mark Mayerson mayerson at sidefx.sidefx.com
Fri Nov 4 15:27:19 CET 1994

I don't have reference on these things handy so don't accept them as gospel.

As I understand it, Hardy Gramatky created Little Toot. He was a Disney
employee and offered the property to Disney and they turned him down.
Gramatky then got the story and art published as a children's book.
Disney then adapted it to animation and had to buy the rights to Toot
from Gramatky.

There has definitely been a Little Toot TV series not produced by Disney
made in the last few years.  While Disney had rights to make and show their
original short (part of Melody Time or Make Mine Music, I forget which),
they don't have rights to continue animating the character.  Perhaps they
only had rights for a certain number of years.

Gramatky went on to do a whole series of Little Toot children's books.

Bongo was part of Fun and Fancy Free.  Again, I don't have reference but
I believe that the story was originally by Sinclair Lewis.