(David Gerstein) Various things

9475609@arran.sms.edinburgh.ac.uk 9475609 at arran.sms.edinburgh.ac.uk
Sun Nov 13 17:30:06 CET 1994

      Dear Folks,

      A few bits of news.  First:  I just got this week's British MM and
discovered that the Donald 'temper' story IS the same one that I was
told about at the San Diego Con.  So we now know:  D93520 = "Temper
Fugit."  I don't really know who wrote it.  Was it you, Dave?  Certainly
a VERY GOOD story.
      As predicted, the MM "farm" story is in this issue.  D93477: "The
Poultry Pilferer."  In the long run, I don't think this artist's Mickey
is so bad (although I DON'T like how prominent he makes Mickey's shirt
-- it ruins any hope of body language), but his Goofy has an oversized
chin and pupils so small that his eyes lack expression.  >Sigh<  This is
a really BAD story!
      The recent Wolf tale which will almost certainly never see
American publication is "Wild West Wolf" (D93168).  Swell art, rather
detailed;  looks like Carl Buettner imitating Don Rosa!  But it's not.
      The issue ends with a Goofy one-pager, "The Dentist Visit"
(D93070).  Tello art, maybe;  his Goofy looks more Feriolian now, but
his dogface incidental characters give it all away.
      The inside back-cover shows the cover of next week's issue.  This
points out that a MM story titled "Art Attack" (???) leads off the
issue, followed by a Donald story about his being an animal lover (exact
title not given).

      KARL-ERIC:  Since MM doesn't really have a "formal" meeting with
Ellsworth in the Goofy strip you mentioned, I'm assuming the one I've
seen is the immediate week after.  I can lay the issue to rest just now,
and sooner or later ask my Dad for the date of that strip.

      JORGEN:  The answer to why Donald's car's engine looks different
than it should, for his make of car, is that (as pointed out in the
Barks tale "Volcano Valley") the car has had some parts replaced as they
wore out, with those from other cars.  I believe that the car is said to
have a "1920 Mixwell engine" -- there must be a car brand called Maxwell
which this spoofs, but I don't know it.

      IMPORTANT NEWS!
      MY TRIP THROUGH EUROPE will tentatively land me in FABIO'S neck of
the woods on Friday 16 December, or Saturday the 17th (depends on when I
can get a ticket);  I can stay until the 20th when I'll get a train to
Germany.  Then, if it's okay with HARRY FLUKS I'll come in to Amsterdam
via train on January 4th, stay for a little over two days, and leave via
plane for Edinburgh on January 7th.  More detailed information next
week.  I need both Fabio and Harry to send me their PHONE NUMBERS --
this is vitally important!

      Also, Fabio, I understand COMPLETELY what's holding up "Colossus
of the Nile" -- it's perfectly okay!  I'm nearly as busy as you are, I
think (although you'll never know it from my letters;  these, and dates
with my girlfriend, are my only release these days!).  I really like
this Scarpa story, by the way.  My only real problem with it is that
Page 3 has nothing to do with the rest of the story, and in a way
trivializes it.  Anyone else who's read this story in a jumbo-book have
any comments?  (If you hadn't guessed, Fabio and I are preparing the
English version of this much-requested Scarpa story, for Gladstone,
right now -- should appear Fall 1995.)

      That's all for today, folks.
      David Gerstein
      <9475609 at arran.sms.ed.ac.uk>