DuckTales

DAVID.A.GERSTEIN 9475609 at arran.sms.edinburgh.ac.uk
Tue Nov 15 16:46:02 CET 1994

      P.  S.  I like DuckTales even now, and LOVED it as a
13-year-old (when it first appeared).  I found the first season of
shows to be very good -- remember, no matter how faithful or
unfaithful they may have been to Barks, they were the best
cartoon ever made for television at that time -- at least, since
Bullwinkle, or so.  It's a cartoon you can like for other reasons
than that you nostalgically remember watching it as a kid, I mean.
But even at 13, I found Webby irritating and didn't like seeing the
Beagle Boys shown as so dullwitted and ugly-gross.  I like
Launchpad and Duckworth (the butler) even now, and although I
don't care that much for Doofus, he basically combines elements of
Herbert and (recently-discussed) Socrates, so he's certainly not an
impossible character for the Duck universe.  I guess I'm just loose
enough in my interpretation of the Ducks to use Launchpad if a really
good idea for him comes along.  Van Horn was able to do US stories
with Launchpad, nominally called DuckTales stories, which felt like
real Duck-universe stories.

      P. P. S.  On a related note, William Van Horn did four four-page
Launchpad stories for Egmont in 1991.  David Seidman planned to use
them, but Egmont just sat on them.  Then John Clark told me he was
going to use them, but Egmont didn't print them, so he couldn't.  Has
anyone else heard of these stories or if and when they will be
published by either Egmont or Gladstone?  (Note:  John Clark was to
have run them as Gyro stories, since Gyro is a co-star in them.  He
can use a story with Launchpad at last notice, but not a story with
Launchpad's name over the title.)