Disney-comics digest #493.

DAVID.A.GERSTEIN 9475609 at arran.sms.edinburgh.ac.uk
Wed Nov 16 14:59:04 CET 1994

      Dear Folks,

      MATTIAS:  You asked for folks' introduc(k)tions.  Looking at
the file you have, I'm not included, but I did already send you one
for myself some months ago.  I seem to recall that it began with a
Goofy joke, the first line of which got accidentally removed when it
was included in our introduc(k)tions list.  I notified you of that,
and at that point my contribution vanished from the list and hasn't
returned since.  I hope everything's okay with it.

      DWIGHT:  The American name of the Tom Poes special was "The
Dragon That Wasn't -- Or Was He?"  I assumed from the description (in
the Disney Channel magazine) that this was a typical kids' TV special
that Disney had bought rights to show -- I mean, a typical special
from the United States.  I'll have to see it some day.  I'm incensed
that we Americans gave Tom a sex change and such a dumb name.  ("Tom
Tabby" would be better, methinks.)  What did they call the Bear?

      FREDRIK:  Isn't the Hillbilly's name "Hard-Haid Moe"?  I thought we
were using that monicker when discussing the character last month.  I
can't check old digests now, but maybe someone can help.  We were
talking about hogs a lot in regard to the character due to that
Hog-Calling story involving him.  What's the inside story?

      Jorgen mentioned a 30-page MM gag story.  I've read PLENTY of
Italian gag stories that are about 30 pages long.  For example, one
in which DD tries to cure US's hiccups lasted that long!  One bizarre
method of trying to cure them after another, including paying Indians
at a local reservation to act savage to scare Scrooge.  Ouch.  And
there are others, like DD as a race car driver, DD dreaming of being
rich, many more (I don't have codes just now).
      Please don't drive me crazy, Jorgen!  ;-)  Who IS the real
identity of the alien in this Mickey story?  My mind comes to Eega
Beeva and Scarpa's Atomino character, but neither of them are really
aliens -- they just look like them.
      The "something with Goofy and Peg Leg Pete" that you saw, made
by Disney TV would be "Goof Troop."  This series is a sequel to the
1950s film cartoons that showed Goofy as a father with a young son,
only now the son is older.  They showed his growth by turning his
brown hair black, lengthening his ears, and (although this makes him
rather ugly, I think) giving him teeth like his dad.  But the voice
and personality are the same.
      Pegleg Pete is Goofy's next-door neighbor in this series -- they
show him as being married with a much smarter wife and two kids,
one of whom is friends with Goofy's son.  Pete is the same crook
as always, though they don't show him out to rob banks -- he's
basically a swindler and con artist here.
      There are some funny moments in these, although (IMHO) many of
them are not all that good.  But in general, I just can't take the
notion of the characters as Toontown role-players.  With Goofy it's
less important (since he's got relatives and ancestors who are
constantly shown to be like him), but it's still a bit confusing.
Muddying the waters further is how "Goof Troop" purposely drew Goofy
with smaller eyes and jowls, as he was drawn in the '50s cartoons
this series attempts to follow up.
      Romano Scarpa gives Pete a girlfriend in the female feline
felon Trudy.  She's a great match for him.  But I don't imagine that
the makers of "Goof Troop," in giving Pete a wife (whose name is
'Peg' -- a clear Pete in-joke), knew anything of Scarpa's work.  The
designer of the Goof Troop universe named the town where it takes
place after himself!

      That's all for today, folks (and all I'll say about "Goof
Troop," unless all of you plead with me).  Doesn't ANYONE know
about the fate of "Race to the South Seas" and "Darkest Africa"?

      David Gerstein
      <9475609 at arran.sms.ed.ac.uk>