Gladstone's advertising

DAVID.A.GERSTEIN 9475609 at arran.sms.edinburgh.ac.uk
Wed Nov 23 20:56:59 CET 1994

      Dear Folks,

      Ed Berndt stated that after 1991, he only has some of the
comics published by Disney and then Gladstone because at that point
they started being impossible to find.
      Funny how 1991 corresponds to Disney's implosion.  When that
occurred, if you recall, there were a lot of articles in fanzines
(yes, articles in fanzines) about Disney's new direction under Bob
Foster and Cris Palomino.  Disney sales climbed suddenly at all my
local shops, I recall.  A lot of former Gladstone buyers came back to
Disney at that time.  It just shows you what articles can do.  Also
confounds me as to why Ed Berndt had trouble finding those same
issues.  I remember seeing the Foster/Palomino Disney-Disneys all
over the place.
      For me, they've become hard to find only with the advent of
Gladstone II.  Well, okay, I have them all, since I put in a standing
order at my local shop.  According to same shop, the number of such
standing orders took an upward surge when Gladstone returned, but the
number of people buying them off same shop's racks fell.  Gladstone
made occasional rack-buyers into regular reserve-buyers.  But here's
the important thing -- my local shop, and other shops whose owners I
spoke to, haven't upped their monthly Gladstone order at all.  The
change in how consumers buy the books thus means fewer copies on
the racks;  the shop doesn't buy more so that it has the same amount
on the racks as before.  The shops have no faith that anyone new is
going to begin buying the comics in the foreseeable future!
      Another reason to ADVERTISE!

      David Gerstein
      <9475609 at arran.sms.edu>
      "Don't ask us, Unca Donald!  We're ruffians -- remember?"