Carl Barks, Packrat

Dwight Decker deckerd at agcs.com
Sat Oct 1 17:19:33 CET 1994

Just a side note here to the discussion Don Rosa and some others have
been having about Daan Jippes inking Barks's Junior Woodchucks script/
storyboard sketches. It is perfectly possible that Barks kept either
the originals or the copies of those scripts all these years. At this
past San Diego Comics Convention, I stopped at the booth of "the Carl
Barks Studio" (the Grandeys' operation, I believe, selling Barks's
original art and such), and on sale were the original pen and ink
drawings of the mildly racy girlie cartoons Barks sold to the Calgary
Eye-Opener circa 1934. According to Mrs. Grandey, Barks had pulled
them out of a drawer the week before the convention and suggested
trying to sell them for whatever the market would bear. I was just
flat-out astonished. I can't even imagine keeping something like that
for SIXTY YEARS, through any number of moves and housecleanings, but
Barks is apparently just that methodical, and keeping something for
a mere 20 years, like the Junior Woodchucks scripts, would be nothing
for him.

--Dwight Decker