Disney-comics digest #461-463

DAVID.A.GERSTEIN 9475609 at arran.sms.edinburgh.ac.uk
Mon Oct 17 12:36:55 CET 1994

      Dear Folks,

      Several things to chat about today.

      First, Don Rosa asked me if "Humperdink" appeared more than
once as the name of Donald's grandpa.  As far as I remember, yes.
Maybe not, but the fact remains that no other name was ever given
(and furthermore, wasn't Grandma's name of Elvira only used once,
too?  I seem to remember that's what we concluded when discussing it
some months ago).  In the particular story I recall, Grandma was in
need of money and decided to sell some antiques in her attic, but
couldn't bring herself to get rid of them in the end because each of
them reminded her of some great event in her life.  Humperdink was
mentioned many times in this story.

      I just got British MICKEY & FRIENDS #41/1994 today.  It began
with the Mickey hypnotism gag story ("Hocus Pocus Hypnosis," D93392),
and I was completely shocked by it.  You see, I believe that this
particular story was drawn by William Van Horn's son, Noel, who began
working for Egmont about a year and a half ago.  (Don't hold me to
that until I get further evidence -- but I believe this to be the
case.)  It certainly owes a lot to Gottfredson art c. 1942.  The real
difference is in the rather rough linework, but this artist will just
take some time to get his style down pat.  I'm prepared.  Next, Mickey
spends the entire story talking in 1930s Gottfredson-lingo!  For
example:  "Yer eyes are growin' heavy!  Ya can't even keep 'em open!"
And so forth (the dialogue wasn't altered much in Britain, it seems).
Mickey even says "oh, fer gosh sakes" in one panel.  It's one of the
"new" Egmont Mickeys, all right.  Sure is a shame that it contradicts
a Gottfredson story -- and that, in general, the tale is unspectacular.
But the fact remains that the spirit is willing.  I'm beginning to look
forward to more... and if I'm right about this being Noel Van Horn,
he is apparently the guy who is going to draw my first Egmont
Mickey tale soon.
      Do people want to see this in Gladstone's D&M?  If enough of
you are enthusiastic about it, I can get after John to print it.  But
again, it's more the mood of the story than the story itself that are
interesting in this case.

      British #42 also contained a Donald/Gladstone story by Ben
Verhagen ("Got an Itch," H8235).  Basically unspectacular.
Well-drawn, but I can't say I find it good enough to translate to
American idiom for use here.  I wonder if the Brits are going to use
"Horsing Around with History"?  No sign of it yet.

      Now to the discussion of Don Rosa's "gag" stories.  Well, Don,
I'll tell you my own thoughts.  As far as I can figure it, "gag
stories" in your definition are those that do not involve a treasure
hunt, a villain, or any kind of long quest.  So "On Stolen Time" is
an adventure, by your standards.  Now then, your "gag" stories have
usually taken one of two routes.  One is to create a story that moves
in a prescribed series of steps, building to a climax (i. e. "Oolated
Luck," "Recalled Wreck," "Mythological Menagerie").  Then there are
some which simply present a concept ('Donald is trying to do
such-and-such') and then bring on a series of basically unrelated
gags: for example, "Super Snooper Strikes Again," "Incident at
McDuck Tower," and "From Duckburg to Lillehammer" all contained
scenes that could have fundamentally been switched around without
harming the story's concept.
      I love the former style, in which a story has a continuing
plot.  The latter style somewhat leaves me less satisfied -- the
stories seem to meander about, and the climax seems sudden when it
arrives.
      No matter what you say, the story you did most recently sounds
like it can't be anything but a story of the former type, the style I
like more.  You may have had a harder time doing it, but it sounds
like you at least worked it out to some kind of satisfaction.  I'm
looking forward to seeing it -- when Gladstone uses it in *two
years*, or however darned long it's going to be.

      Last, thanks to those of you who appreciated my doing gag
stories with Mickey.  Next year the standard MM format goes from
eight to ten pages (maybe I mentioned that), and I have some ideas on
the rack that ought to let Mickey really express himself.  To me,
Mickey has emotions and thoughts like the best characters in fiction,
and I'm just itching to depict them!

      I'll be off now, folks.  Take care, and I'll be in touch
tomorrow.

      David Gerstein
      "Keep yer nose in the air, Monty!  With any luck, your head'll
fall off backwards!"
      <9475609 at arran.sms.ed.ac.uk>