[...] Database, [...] Database

Fredrik Ekman ekman at lysator.liu.se
Tue Oct 18 17:40:30 CET 1994

Actually, I didn't intend to go in public with this, but since you bring
it up yourself... Now, since I am not certain about the details about The
Gleam, I won't use that as an example, but I think it is similar to what
I am thinking of. (If you have no interest in the database, stop reading
now and flame me. How many are interested anyway?)

Perhaps you remember that when you were about to start making this
database I brought up a few points, one being that I wanted some
redundancy among the titles? I think that was the only one of my points
that didn't get through to the present version of the stuff. Anyway, I
wasn't then even sure that I knew myself what I was talking about. Now I
am, so here's more opting for redundancy:

Just about a week ago I downloaded the Swedish .issues files for a
friend, and what did I notice? Well, all the titles are quite useless!
This is due to the fact that you currently take all titles from the story
files rather than the issue files. Thus, we get a lot of T(itles) and
D(escriptions) and the like but very few Sw(edish). I suppose the
situation is similar although better for the American comics. You will
see the same title for the first printing and all reprints and you can't
really say if a R(eprint) title belongs to this particular reprint or if
this one was untitled or what. But please correct me if I am wrong.

Now, what should we do? The obvious answer is: Create redundancy! Every
story entry must of course have a title and this could keep the format it
has today, although all translations from non-English titles could
perhaps be labelled Tr(anslation) or somesuch since it's really not
useful to know which language it originates from. (Meaning the
translation, which is unlikely to be the original title anyway.)

The issue files, then should ALSO have a title entry. Stories that have
no title remain blank of course (and get the title including designator
from the story files) and titles that are IDENTICAL to the T(itles) entry
could just get a "T:", titles that are IDENTICAL to the R(eprint) could
get a "R:" etc to reduce redundancy. But ALL NON-ENGLISH issues should
have ALL TITLES included in the issue files. STORIES IN .issues FILES
THAT HAVE THEIR ORIGINAL TITLE SHOULD HAVE NO DESIGNATOR in order to tell
them apart from the others. Thus, if story A has no title in its first
printing and is titled "B" in its second, the first entry (in the .issues
file) will be "T:B" and the second will be "B".

In addition, all Swedish, Danish and other such languages should use the
Latin-1 standard until something better is sufficiently standardized.

Naturally this causes problems. Perhaps lots of people will have to do
lots of proof-reading and re-indexing if we go with this, but I for one
certainly think it is worth it. I don't know if there is any boring
manual labour that could be done without having access to any actual
comic books, but if there is, I am willing to do it.

Phew! Now, did any of the above make sense to anyone? I didn't try to
make anyone but Harry understand and like I said it wasn't intended to go
out to everyone originally.

  /F