What goes in the digests? + PS on DS

Per Starback starback at Minsk.DoCS.UU.SE
Thu Oct 20 04:47:40 CET 1994

Please Don, surely I've answered this before?

This list is uncensored and unmoderated.  Most of the subscribers got
this message in their mailboxes within a few minutes after I sent it.
In a truly moderated list someone would have to OK it first, and
everything would be a lot slower.  Those of the subscribers who
receive the digests (like you do) or course get everything late
anyway, and there's certainly a technical pssibility for me to
interrupt the normal operation to remove certain messages that already
have been sent to the list from appearing in the digests.

I *won't* delete inappropriate messages sent to the list from the
digests though, because

 * It would take time to do it.
Often I don't read that mail myself until after it's been digested
anyway.

 * Different subscribers getting different sets of messages would be a
cause for confusion when someone comments on something that not
everyone has got.

 * It's too hard to draw the line between what's appropriate and not.

 * I don't like censoring anyway.

This is the only way I'm ever going to administrate a mailing list,
but there's nothing at all stopping someone from starting their own
"best-of-disney-comics" list, only containing the relevant,
interesting, fun and readable messages sent to the list, acting as a
forwarder who won't forward everything.  I don't know how many people
would be interested in that instead of a full subscription, but as
long as there isn't any volunteer to do the job it's a somewhat moot
point.
Per Starback, Uppsala, Sweden.  email: starback at minsk.docs.uu.se
 "Life is but a gamble!  Let flipism chart your ramble!"

P.S. Harry asked about "DS".  That is a customary ending of a PS in
     Sweden.  Probably Fredrik doesn't realize that whereas PS is an
     international (Latin) abbreviation, DS is a Swedish abbreviation,
     meaning "den samme" = "the same", as a way of signing the PS with
     the same name as the main text.     /P.S.