Disney-comics digest #631.

Don Rosa donrosa at iglou.com
Fri Apr 7 07:49:00 CEST 1995

>PETER:
        How nice of you to translate that article for me. If there's more (I
think you said?) I would be very interested in seeing it. I have stacks of
magazine and newspaper articles about me from Europe, but I have no idea
what most of them say. You're a big help! But... you didn't say where this
article appeared, did you? Was it in a "fanzine" or a regular magazine or which?
        Today I am writing/drawing a one-page UNCLE $CROOGE gag for your
TEMPO magazine, which I understand is a major German magazine, eh? It will
appear in conjunction with that June trip you mention. Which also leads me
to the question of WHERE did you read about that trip? Is the publisher
publicizing it or was it just mentioned in a fan-magazine?
        Where will I be? Well, this will be quite a trip. I'll be on a
complete tour of Germany, top to bottom, for 16 days. They wanted me for
more like 3 weeks, but I asked them to hold it to a bare minimum so I could
get back to my paying job. I guess there might be a few other German Duck
fans lurking on here, so I'll post a full schedule as they last sent it to
me, and perhaps Per can take this section and stick it somewhere that it can
be referred to by other members of this group for the next few months.
        You'll hafta help me a bit. There are a few words on here that I
assume are not names of bookstores where I'll be appearing, but are German
words for "travel time" or "goof off" or I can't even guess; words like
"campe" and "urlaub" -- you tell me if those are places I'll be appearing or
things I'll be doing. But here's the last schedule I was sent...

Friday, June 2: arrive Hamburg.
Saturday, June 3: Stihlke, Hbf.; Wahnsinn.
Sunday & Monday, June 4 & 5: Comic Salon (Convention), Hamburg.
Tuesday, June 6: to Berlin - Grober Unfug.
Wednesday, June 7: to Hannover - Buch + Comic.
Thursday, June 8: to Ruhrgebiet/Koln - Mr.C.Bochum; Empire, Koln.
Friday, June 9: to Bonn/Frankfurt - Comic Laden, Bonn; Buchhandlerschule, Ffm.
Saturday, June 10: Frankfurt - Comica.
Sunday, June 11: "urlaub" (?).
Monday, June 12: to Nurnberg - Campe; Ultra-Comix.
Tuesday, June 13: to Munchen(Munich) - Sussmanns.
Wednesday, June 14: to Stuttgart - Heinzelmannchen.
Thursday, June 15: more "urlaub".
Friday, June 16: home.

        I assume more stops and stores will be added later.

        I can also now say that I expect to be on a trip to Helsinki around
November 10-12 during their annual comic convention, and I may take a short
tour of Finland and my 8th (or is it 9th?) sidetrip to Oslo. More on that
later as the publishers think it out.

        While we're on the subject, I can say something for American Duck
fans as to where I'll be in this poor country. Actually, my trips are down
this past year or so -- I used to get invited to some show about every other
weekend around the U.S., but apparently attendances are down and they are
not paying to fly in guests to all those small "motel" shows I used to do,
and I don't blame 'em. (I never figured I brought any customers in the doors
who would then go around and buy copies of SPAWN and WOLVERINE from the
dealers, which is the purpose of having guests at those things.) But I'll be
in Oakland for Wondercon, then in...uh... damn! It's a two-day show in
Columbus or Cleveland? I'll hafta check -- the last weekend of April. Then
Chicago on the 4th of July... San Diego whenever that is in August.
Somewhere in Maine in September. And... well, I shouldn't have started this
since I don't have my calendar in front of me where I'm typing this, and my
memory fails. (It's presumptuous for me to think anyone particularly cares
anyway, eh?)

        Speaking (as your article did) of the "Life of U$" dealie, I hear
that Gladstone's new UNCLE $CROOGE with the 8th chapter of the $crooge bio
is out now, though I haven't seen it yet. I did kinda like the cover I tried
to do for that issue, and I'm anxious to see how the special GOLD coloring
looks that they put on the title and the Goose Egg Nugget, as well as how
they colored the distant mountains and forests.
        I've also finally completed the first new installment of that bio
that I've done in two years... sort of a chapter 8B. I bring this up only
because, whereas American audiences are getting the $crooge bio 2-3 years
after they've seen it throughout Europe, Americans will be seeing this
chapter 8B before they see it anywhere else. And coincidentally, it will
appear ALMOST in the proper order for chronological reading. I think the
UNCLE $CROOGE with chapter 9 will appear in early June, but in late June
will appear WALT DISNEY'S COLLECTORY / $CROOGE McDUCK IN THE YUKON #1, so it
will purt'near be appearing in order in America even though I did 8B almost
3 years after 8 & 9. Actually, it feels good to me that I waited 3 years
between Klondike tales, but American readers will be seeing these two Yukon
adventures TOO CLOSE together. So, it's good in one sense, but not in
another. Well, can't have everything.