Various stuff (again)

9475609@arran.sms.ed.ac.uk 9475609 at arran.sms.ed.ac.uk
Tue Apr 18 20:25:42 CEST 1995

      BOB:  "The  early Mickey was a gutsy little competitor who never
gave up.  Kinda like U$."
      You never said a truer word!  It occurs to me at this very moment
that my interpretation of Mickey is remarkably similar to Scrooge in the
LO$ before (in chapter six) he acquires his meanness and before greed
becomes a strong influence.
      And who said that this Mickey was restricted to the early Mouse
tales?  I'm having a high old time writing stories like that by the
bushel these days.

      FREDRIK:  In German, Ellsworth = Moses.  I just found that one
out.  Seriously... Moses?  Just how do they explain this one?  A wiseguy
raven named after a Biblical prophet?  Aside from brains, they sure
don't have much in common.  ;-)

      JORGEN:  The U$ "Black Diamond" story D91392 is drawn by
Scalabroni, who has been mistaken for Branca before (see U$ 260 and the
corrected information in U$ 262).  The eyes of his characters are what
look different to me, even though the general linework is pretty similar
in a lot of cases.  Branca DID, however, draw D93258.  Also, you mention
an artist named "David" -- do you mean Xavi here?
- Mickey Mouse (D93040, 7 pages). Noel van Horn?
      This is not by Noel Van Horn.  Stefan Printz-Pahlson gave me
correct credits recently, but I forgot them.  I'll find out again when I
talk to him next week.  I'm hoping this artist will draw some of my
Mickey stories.  And in English, D93040 was super.  Maybe it lost
something in the translation:
      "Gosh, sorry!  I thought ya were someone else!"
      "Nope!  I've always been Goofy!"
      And:  "You're gonna keep time while you're doin' time from now
on!"  (Spoken to the clock/robot)
      I notice that this week's DD has a Vicar story including the
jet-black duck cannibals from WDC&S 34.  While they're surprisingly
friendly in this story, they have not changed visually and I don't think
we're going to see this story in the States.  Despite its fine art,
that's not such a bad thing.  Geez, these guys even have feet which are
black on top and yellow on the bottom.

      DAVE RAWSON and JOHN LUSTIG:  If the format of DONALD DUCK were to
change, there would be some room for our stories.  The format was Bruce
Hamilton's decision, and John Clark can't really make a case to change
it because while many write in saying they don't like the format, few of
them actually say what they would prefer to see to Taliaferro strips.
You see, ironically BECAUSE of the restrictive format, few people
actually know what great foreign stuff does exist.

      David Gerstein
      <9475609 at arran.sms.ed.ac.uk>