Eek! and Noel Van Horn

JALustig@aol.com JALustig at aol.com
Thu Aug 3 01:55:01 CEST 1995

I could use some help from other members of the mailing list who live in the
United States. Over two years ago I wrote stories for a three-issue comic
book series based on a Saturday morning TV cartoon show called "Eek! The
Cat." The comic book was published by Hamilton Comics (the sister company of
Gladstone Comics. I had stories of various lengths in the first two of the
issues. (The story in the second issue might be of some interest to members
of this list since it was drawn by one of Egmont's current Mickey Mouse
artists Noel Van Horn.)

Anyway, I know the comics were published because I have a handful of copies,
but I don't know if the comics were ever distributed and made available to
the general public. The problem is that the entire print run for the series
was purchased by a distributor (Anderson News Service?) which primarily
services stories in the Wal-Mart chain.

It's been more than two years now since the comics were published and so far
no one at Gladstone or I are really sure whether the comics were ever put on
the stands. Apparently this distributor has sometimes held material back for
years before releasing it. (I know it doesn't make any sense, but that's what
I've heard.) Someone from Pennslyvania told me that he thinks he recently saw
copies of Eek! bagged in a set of three for sale at a Wal-Mart there. Are
they really for sale there? Have they ever been released in Wal-Mart in other
parts of the country? Beats me! The nearest Wal-Marts to me are 100 miles or
more away and my long distance calls to those stores haven't turned up
anything.

This isn't exactly a pressing issue. I don't expect (or want) everyone to run
down to their nearest Wal-Mart to check this out. But the next time you do go
to a Wal-Mart if you're over near the comics could you take a look and see if
there are any issues of Eek! The Cat? If you find some, please let me know.
(Also find out how much they are if they're in a set.) I'm really curious.

Thanks,
John Lustig