Mythtic Mystery's lost art

Daniel van Eijmeren daniel at maisie.ow.nl
Sun Aug 6 15:56:07 CEST 1995

DON:

This week I sent an article to Arthur about the lost work of Carl
Barks. Among those stories is Mythtic Mystery. This story lost 2
pages, including a splash-panel which Barks once called "the most
complicated drawing I ever did":

     "My chin hit my knees when I saw that the big half-page stupender
     I did of Thor and Vulcan and a nephew riding above the busiest
     street corner in Duckburg in the golden chariot [was] missing.
     Thor's horses terrified, thousands (at least) of people gaping
     upward in disbelief. Autos bumper-to-bumper, smoking, clanking.
     In short, I gave Vulcan something to be scared about." (C.B.)

I've always wondered how that panel would have looked like if it
wasn't vanished. I don't know of any plans with reprinting the story,
but if it gets a reprint, isn't it possible that you fill in the lost
art for that print?

I ask this because I can't think of any other artist who can
reconstruct that wonderful panel, following the description of Barks
(which I quoted here). You once did a very good job on the two
missing panels of "How Green was my Lettuce" and finishing the
sketches which Barks did for his unfinished "pied piper" story.
So, that's the reason why I thought of you.

In CBL there's also another description of Barks about the other art
that is missing from the story (set 4, page 15). I have that
description here in my computer, but I dare not to quote it here
because of copyright laws. (Maybe I quoted too much already?)

Don, what do you think of redrawing the lost splash panel (and maybe
also the other art) for Mythtic Mystery?

--- Daniel

P.S. I always wondered why Barks didn't make a painting of that scene.