Gladstone Gazette #1

Neal Kinney nkinney at netcom.netcom.com
Wed Aug 30 19:11:24 CEST 1995

Following along with the discussions of the latest Disney comics on this
mailing list, I have often felt left out because I hadn't yet read the
specific stories.  The problem seems to be that, for some reason, I receive
my Gladstone subscriptions, by mail, weeks after they have appeared on
supermarket racks and comic bookstore shelves.  By this time, each issue has
been discussed thoroughly.  I can't believe my remote location in the stark
wilderness of the San Francisco Bay Area (near the site of the old Fort
Duckburg, I believe) is the reason for the mail delay.  Can anyone on this
mailing list enlighten me as to why Gladstone  subscribers seem to enjoy
such a low priority?

On a related matter, I just received Donald Duck Adventures #34 a couple of
days ago.  It was one of those "fewer pages, newsprint cover" issues.  Much
to my surprise, also in the package was a four-page, nice-quality, black &
white newsletter from Gladstone which I had not seen discussed on this list
(could it be that I am the only U.S. subscriber to Gladstone's duck
titles?).  This issue of the Gazette tells the story of the ill-fated "Uncle
Scrooge Pennywise Comics", explains the "This is the Year that Was" series,
offers quotes from Carl Barks, has profiles of some Gladstone employees AND
contains the "Cross Talk" and extended Letters to the Editor columns deleted
from the smaller, newsprint cover issues.  Actually, very nicely done!