Jo/rgen, Ole, David in digest #571.

H.W. Fluks fluks at pcssdc.pttnwb.nl
Thu Feb 2 13:04:55 CET 1995

Jo/rgen:
========
> Then comes part two of "Race to the South Seas". It is Daan Jippes'
> version. I can see that now after having studied the redrawn JWW
> stories. Why was it redrawn?

Original proofs were not available anymore. Jippes redrew the story
from a xerox copy of a copy of .. of a copy of the original comic.
This was done in 1975. Around that time, the Dutch editors wanted to
(re)print ALL of Barks's works. This meant some of the rarest stories
had to be redrawn.

David reported there is an Italian version of this story, NOT redrawn by
Jippes. But I don't know the status of that.

> Since it is presented as a Barks classic, I think they should have
> told about the redrawing too.

They probably don't even know about that. In the Carl Barks Library,
the redrawing is not mentioned. (!)

> - Donald Duck (H8474, 15 pages). Donald gets a job in an airline
> company.

You probably know this already (or could look it up in the Database):
Script is by Jan Kruse, art by Mark de Jonge (who was quite good
at the time). "Zo is dat!"

> - Uncle Scrooge (D94012, 24 pages). This is Don's Croesus story.

This reminds me of our Don Rosa index. It hasn't been updated for months.
We could use some Scandinavian updates on Don's recent stories!
Any volunteers?

Ole (RoC):
==========
> I'm hoping to talk to you on a more regular basis than this on it.

I hope so too! It has been a long time, and I'm very curious about your
Danish index and your remarks on "my" Dizni Database!

>  The latest publication I know of with [Moe] is Danish 'Super Extra 8'
> which reprints 'Hiding in Trainrobber's Gulch' (S 1014!?)

Why do you put a !? there? It's a perfectly normal code (the 14th story
the Disney Studio produced in 1971).

> Other creatures discussed recently - Ellmore, [...]

Let's not get confused: the bird's name is ELLSWORTH.

David:
======
> the translated Dutch story, titled "A Car-Gone Conclusion," in DDA 31

...was originally written by Ruud Straatman. If the Dutch editor didn't
deliver the credits, WE could have!

--Harry.