Alexander's Tomb

Cdoberman@aol.com Cdoberman at aol.com
Wed Feb 8 22:17:25 CET 1995

I know there was some discussion a week or so ago about the discovery of
Alexander's Tomb.  The New York Times reported on Monday:  A high-level
archaeological team from the Greek government, investigating claims that the
tomb of Alexander the Great had been discovered in Egypt's western desert,
visited the site Sunday and siad they saw no evidence that the tomb had been
found.

But Liana Souvaltzi, the archaeologist who announed last week that she had
found the tomb outside the oasis of Siwa, said Saturday:  "I have no
reservations.  This is Alexander's tomb.  There is no doubt."

She said the tomb was built in Macedonian style and that three tablets uncover
ed at the site provided the archaelogical proof.

Souvaltzi wouldn't let any one from the team see her report or accompany them
to the site.  The inscriptions on the tablets  were translated by her
husband, who has no formal training.  He also provides the financing for her
research.

It goes on, but I won't.  Sounds like the Greek government  disagrees with
each claim made by the archaeologist.  Better send in Scrooge McDuck.

DON:  BTW -- my wife and I were as amazed at the beauty of the tobacco plants
displayed, as we were stunned by  the fact that 1,000 children would raise a
lethal drug for their 4-H Club agriculture project.  Sad.  (I've lived in
Utah, Montana, New England, California and the Ohio Valley -- you're right
about Utah and Wyoming, they both have their amazing spots.  But I still
think Kentucky is one of the most beautiful states in the country.)

Wes Andersen