Life of Uncle $crooge

Jørgen Andreas Bangor jorgenb at ifi.uio.no
Fri Feb 10 01:12:22 CET 1995

Thank you very much, Augie!

Before reading your answer I wondered if Don's Lo$ might be too "inside"
and non-interesting for people unfamiliar with Disney comics. After having
read it, I get the impression that it, au contraire, might be a good
introduction to them! This also means that Don's details from Barks stories
might have a double effect. For us who have known Barks for some time (in
my case, almost all my life :) it's fun to see the details (ah, that's
from ...!), and for newcomers it's fun to suddenly recognize the details
in the old stories.

I would also believe that this means that Don really have succeeded in
making this listing of details into stories that reallly have a value in
themselves. My compliments, Don.

>Trust me, there are worse things to do than read these issues again.  :)

Indeed! I reread "The Son of the Sun" yesterday :)

>The Square Egg story comes immediately to mind. Oddly, this is one I've
>heard a lot about, but have yet to read.

It was quite recently published in the DDAiC series.

>I didn't know much of Scrooge's family before, for example.

I don't think any of us knew much about his closest family before this
story :)

About this super-hero thing -- I know close to nothing about super-hero
comics, so I didn't make any connections there, but I see that this is just
another thing Don is criticized for about this story, and his other stories
for that matter. I can just say one thing: I don't understand the critizism!
That's not because I think Don is so great that there is no reason at all
to criticize him (his work), but because he's just one of hundreds of Disney
writers/artists, and he's doing what _he_ wants to do with the characters. As
Don says himself, there's no reason to attack him for writing stories they
don't like, it's just not to read them.
     It seems to me that these people have a very narrow mind about what is
really Disney, which makes me believe that they can't have read much besides
Barks' stories. I guess they mean that Don is messing with his stories, which
they for some reason find sacred, or something.
     Being a Norwegian, I have had the chance to read almost everything that
is produced of Disney comics. Therefore I just see Don's works as _his_ works
in the huge amount of stories. The difference, though, is that Don puts more
work in his stories than most of the other writers/artists do (and he's
probably a lot more talented than most of them). This makes his stories
into something special, but it's still _his_ stories. I don't need to have
them in mind when I read a Vicar or Branca story. Some other writers/artists
(mostly Italian) have made stories which are supposed to explain the history
of some characters, and I don't always like them, but this is no reason to
criticize the writers/artists for messing with facts. If Cavazzano wants to
tell us that Grandma Duck and Scrooge are brother and sister, he's welcome.
I can enjoy the story, and think it is a good work, but I don't need to have
it in mind when I read Don's Lo$.

Now why did I write all this? I don't have to tell this to anyone on this
list...

   Jorgen