Disney-comics digest #584.

9475609@arran.sms.edinburgh.ac.uk 9475609 at arran.sms.edinburgh.ac.uk
Thu Feb 16 13:00:18 CET 1995

      Dear Folks,

      DON ROSA said that foreign stories are selected for Gladstone
comics like this:  "John Clark will flip through foreign comics until he
spots a story that he CAN'T READ, but seems to have some interesting
action. Then he orders the story... If it turns out [upon its arrival at
Gladstone's office that] the story sux, it's too long a process to start
from scratch..."
      Well, this is indeed how Gladstone chooses SOME stories, but not
the ones that **I** work on.
      You see, I can read German, so if I see a good story in a German
Egmont or Oberon reprint, I ask John if I can work on it.  He gives me
the go-ahead, and I do a translation straight from the German -- even on
Egmont stories which were originally written in English, since it's a
lot easier that way than waiting for Gladstone to order the story and
send it to me.
      So when you see a story I've worked on, all of you can be sure
that **I** picked it FOR Gladstone, knowing very well what was going on
and whether the story "sux" or not.  (Of course, to each their own
opinion.  I picked "A Case of Too Much Money" thinking it a good story,
and Augie didn't agree with me!)
      Some examples of this process can be seen in

      THE PREVIEWS LISTINGS:
>- Catman vs. the Masked Marauder
      I personally chose this story for Gladstone upon reading it in
German (see below for more on this).  It is a first-rate superhero
parody a la several famous ones that have predated it, with very good
art by Colomer Fonts.  There's even a scene of DD burning some of HDL's
comics like a 1950s Werthamite.  I had him saying, "in thirty years, the
kids will thank me for this."  Heh, heh.
      I also gave the villain some very-carefully-researched Cockney
dialect, which I am virtually sure that Disney will delete.
>- Naturepark Ranger, by Mau Heymans (Dutch)
      And here's an example of one of my MAJOR SLIP-UPS.  I was so
jubilant upon having just sold a lot of German translations to Gladstone
(including the Catman story) that I went ahead and translated this one,
too, without checking to see if Gladstone had ordered it already or had
someone else write an English script.  Well, they'd done both of those
things, and my own version -- titled "By Hourglass Piqued" -- will never
see the light of day.
>- Cover [of WDC&S 592] pencilled by Barks and inked by Van Horn
      The cover shows DD and a nephew, both painting adjacent floors of
the house, having both painted their way to the same doorway and gotten
stuck there, surrounded by painted floorboards.  Since the Dutch have
inked a lot of abandoned Barks covers before, I bet there must be a Daan
Jippes cover with this same gag.  Harry?
>Matti Eronen:
>Carl Barks Surviving Comic Book Art
>- production limited to 500 copies
>- $24,95
      I suppose this is a new book?  Does it say anything about page
count?  I'm curious.

      BLACK PETE:  HOW OLD?
>It says that Pete is 60 years old on 15. april (today).
      Er -- today's 15 February, or I miss my guess.
      15 April is the day that Pete first appeared in the Mickey Mouse
daily comic strip... but this was ***65*** years ago, in 1930.
>Then it says that his first appearance was 15. february
>1925.
      That's his first ANIMATED appearance (and as far as I'm concerned,
the REAL first appearance).  This is an accurate date, and someone else
"pegged" (heh, heh) the cartoon "Alice Solves the Puzzle".  He was
called Bootleg Pete in that cartoon.  He was always called Pete, and
specifically Pegleg Pete as early as 1926, although that was only one of
several nicknames he had (the other one of the era being "Putrid Pete").
      Pete also made more than 11 pre-Mickey cartoon appearances.  The
count of 11 comes from John Grant's encyclopedia of Disney animated
characters, but Russell Merritt and J. B. Kaufman (in their recent book
_Walt in Wonderland_) have more accurate information, including story
synopses for all missing Alice cartoons (something Grant did not have).
I'm going to be buying that book soon, and I'll give you a correct
number of pre-MM Pete appearances then, gang.
>It's not as bad as in 1973, though...
      That celebration was in fact fifty years of the Disney Studio
itself.  The same logo appeared on some Whitman comics of the time.
      Pete was also the villain in some DD, Goofy, and Chip 'n' Dale
cartoons, which I guess the Extra issue doesn't list.

      My first story with Pete will be going back to basics by pairing
him with Sylvester Shyster.  More on that soon.

      Back tomorrow...

      David Gerstein
      <9475609 at arran.sms.ed.ac.uk>